Shimano 2300 shifters with Shimano Deore XT M730 mechs

telsun
telsun Posts: 25
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Having problem with setting up some shifters guys :(

Just fitted some Shimano 2300 (actually 2303 triples) with a Shimano Deore XT rear mech and triple front on with a matching Deore XT front mech (M730 range).

Rear mech indexes fine, front mech does not. I cannot get it to clear the smallest ring (+ largest sprocket) and the largest ring (+ smallest sprocket) without having to tweak the adjusters at either extremity.

I've not explained that very well but has anyone got any tips for setting up the front mech with 2303 shifters? I've always managed before but this one is really proving a challenge!

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited October 2013
    Edit due to error.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • telsun
    Thank you. I mean that if I set the inner ring set screw and secure the cable then when I shift to outer ring the chain will rub. If I adjust the rub out either the adjuster then the mech will not shift back down to the inner ring as there is too much tension in the cable.

Investigating online it seems that MTB front mechs have a different pull to road so the shifters and mech may not be compatible.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ah this is true I was about to edit my thread to correct as I have just realised my error. Still the edit is happening.

Playing with the cable anchoring position should affect the pull but it will need some experimentation. I still think it can be made to work acceptably though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Telsun wrote:
    Having problem with setting up some shifters guys :(

Just fitted some Shimano 2300 (actually 2303 triples) with a Shimano Deore XT rear mech and triple front on with a matching Deore XT front mech (M730 range).

Rear mech indexes fine, front mech does not. I cannot get it to clear the smallest ring (+ largest sprocket) and the largest ring (+ smallest sprocket) without having to tweak the adjusters at either extremity.

I've not explained that very well but has anyone got any tips for setting up the front mech with 2303 shifters? I've always managed before but this one is really proving a challenge!
    so what are the ring sizes?

and your chain line? (front)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • telsun
    Chainrings are 26, 36, 46. Chainline is spot on with a 122mm axle and there's about 5mm clearance between the smallest ring and the chainstay.