Ultegra 6700 Shifters,

smeev
smeev Posts: 105
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi All,

My Tiagra right shifter (9pd) has broken on my winter steed. Can I integrate my Ultegra shifters (10sp)from my summer bike on the winter bike??

If I can t do a shifter swap, will I need to swap the cassette, chain & run this on a Tiagra crank & front derailleur??

I am a bit reluctant to swap everything over, as I don't want want my ultegra groupset to get covered in rubbish from the winter roads.

I'm a bit broke at the moment & have not got the cash for a new shifter, hence the pickle i'm in.

Cheers.
Special eyes 4 ever....

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Simpler to look for some 9 speed Shimano shifters on Ebay or in the classifieds here. (I got a whole 9 speed Tiagra groupset from a fellow forumite)

If you do cannibalise the summer bike the bare minimum would be as you say, 10 speed shifters, cassette and chain. the rest will be OK as is.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Spacing is different between 9 & 10 cassettes, so although some shifts will work there will be lots of clicking or non-shifts in part of the range.

You will need a 10 sp cassette (& hence chain) to go with the 10 speed shifter. This should work fine, the derailleurs and crank shouldn't matter. Even though they are badged 9 or 10 speed it's the shifters that determine how far they move.

Edit - Keef beat me to it - wot he says.