Crank arm pedal thread: how much of an idiot...?!?

claddo
claddo Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in The workshop
I think I have made a terrible (and potentially expensive) schoolboy error: any help to judge the enormity of my stupidity appreciated

1. Put new pedals - on the right side - in new crank and tightened by hand. Seemed to be completely in. Was happy with this as they do tighten naturally.

2. About 7-8km into ride, pedal feels wonky and I stop to check:
- The pedal is coming out and at a nasty angle
Fortunately not too far from home, I walk the rest back not wanting to do any more damage

3. Result:
- The thread in the crank giving off shavings
- Pedal doesnt go back completely
- Trying to 're-thread' or just clear the thread by screwing pedal from the other side no help

SH%T. What are your thoughts? It is the right hand crank arm of course! Need to
- Replace crank arms?
- LBS or other might be able to re-drill/replace thread? (Have heard of this, but don't know how effective, secure etc.. insights appreciated)

Is it possible that just a moment of stupidity could end up costing a replacement set of cranks? I must have put 100 pedals on down the years and even forgotten that this kind of thing could happen.

Will be Saturday before I can get it to the LBS, so I'm ripping my hair out here! :oops:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    plenty of good LBSs will have a set of thread savers and be able to fix it. but if too far gone then yes new cranks.

next time do them up correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • claddo
    claddo Posts: 27
    Thanks for the ray of hope.... fingers crossed that "grumpy Maurice" at my LBS is feeling cooperative
    nicklouse wrote:

Not kidding me... :oops: :shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    claddo wrote:
    Thanks for the ray of hope.... fingers crossed that "grumpy Maurice" at my LBS is feeling cooperative
    nicklouse wrote:

Not kidding me... :oops: :shock:

But put a bit of copperslip on the threads first. One day you might want to get them off again :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A decent LBS should have a Helicoil pedal thread repair kit
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Go here i had some primo hollowbites done on a bmx they are still good .
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1295304/.
    i am not with the woolich i dont know you or where i is .
    I fix and build owt you want at cheep prices.