Bike pricing: beating the system

lycraholic
lycraholic Posts: 127
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm after a 2013 model of a bike from a well-known retailer. The model has sold out, apart from a couple of bikes left in my size, and is still selling at full RRP. This is £250 more than it had recently been selling for in competitor shops, but none have any stock left so I can't price match. The model has recently been superseded by the 2014 version, which is ~£150 cheaper but represents a significant downgrade in components.

Here's the question. Is the bike likely to be discounted soon, and how long should I wait before diving in? The stock of the 2013 bike has remained constant for the last week I've been monitoring it, but I don't want to wait so long that it sells out. The other question is that I need to buy some other things with the bike; mudguards, racks and a lock. Would the local store of the retailer be prepared to include these things (to a value of ~10%) if I agreed to pay full RRP for the bike?

I'd really appreciate advice. :D

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Lycraholic wrote:
    I'm after a 2013 model of a bike from a well-known retailer. The model has sold out, apart from a couple of bikes left in my size, and is still selling at full RRP. This is £250 more than it had recently been selling for in competitor shops, but none have any stock left so I can't price match. The model has recently been superseded by the 2014 version, which is ~£150 cheaper but represents a significant downgrade in components.

Here's the question. Is the bike likely to be discounted soon, and how long should I wait before diving in? The stock of the 2013 bike has remained constant for the last week I've been monitoring it, but I don't want to wait so long that it sells out. The other question is that I need to buy some other things with the bike; mudguards, racks and a lock. Would the local store of the retailer be prepared to include these things (to a value of ~10%) if I agreed to pay full RRP for the bike?

I'd really appreciate advice. :D

Why not just ask the shop and see what sort of deal you can negotiate with them, nothing lost by asking is there and most will be prepared to come to some sort of deal :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Why not just ask the shop and see what sort of deal you can negotiate with them, nothing lost by asking is there and most will be prepared to come to some sort of deal :)

I rang them the other day and they said no; but I think being there in the shop, with the bike (ordered in for a test ride), might make a difference?
  • arran77
    No harm asking.

We recently bought a relatively inexpensive bike for someone and got 10% off all accessories even though the bike itself was already in the sale.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Lycraholic wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

I rang them the other day and they said no; but I think being there in the shop, with the bike (ordered in for a test ride), might make a difference?
    I would do it face to face definitely. They may be more open to a good deal.
  • I guess my main question is whether they would be likely to discount the bike at source with only a couple remaining?
  • arran77
    I would think they would, just ask :wink:

seanoconn
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You will notice all retailers sell the same bike at the same price similar to how all the same iPads cost the same price. The deals are to be done over sale bikes or accessories + addon's for a bike.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The profit margin is much lower on bikes than it is on accessories which is why you are more likely to get dealers preferring to give you free accessories than an equivalent value discount on the bike. However best thing is to build up a relationship with a good LBS or join a local club that gets a discount in bike shops.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    1. If there is no stock it is a retorical question.

2. If they do have stock go in to the shop slap £x on the counter and say that bike for that much please. If they say no pick up cash and go somewhere else.

3. Accept the goods are that price and pay up.
    Yellow is the new Black.