52*36 chainsets

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hopefully a quicky, am I right that to get an 11 speed 52*36 setup Campag are basically just selling a 52 ring with their 110BCD - so if I got 11 speed Athena I'd buy a compact and then an additional 52 ring ?

The new Ultegra is using 110BCD so I could stick any ring on the crankset ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Presumably yes, if it has the right number of arms at the correct angles.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    52 - 34 is too big a difference.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FatTed wrote:

I thought the OP said 52-36?

In any case why would you need a 52 tooth outer ring if you have an 11 tooth rear cog?

To the OP - If, when you say NEW Ultegra, you're talking about the latest 4 arm spider(11 speed), well, then you can't just slap any old set of rings on it. It's gotta be Shimano. Ever if you're talking NEW, meaning last years models(10 speed), you have to use a Shimano outer ring, but most any brand inner will work.
  • dennisn wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

In any case why would you need a 52 tooth outer ring if you have an 11 tooth rear cog?

To the OP - If, when you say NEW Ultegra, you're talking about the latest 4 arm spider(11 speed), well, then you can't just slap any old set of rings on it. It's gotta be Shimano. Ever if you're talking NEW, meaning last years models(10 speed), you have to use a Shimano outer ring, but most any brand inner will work.

Heck, go 53-36!

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php ... chainrings
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    dennisn wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

Yes I mean the new Ultegra 6800 with the 4 arm spider. It just seems a useful innovation if I can run a wider range of chainrings on the same crankset. Admittedly with an 11 up cassette it may not be necessary but a 52*42 or something for UK racing and for the Alps a 52*36 (or presumably a 50*34?) on the same crankset would be useful.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Are DeVlaeminck and Tom Butcher the same user?

Basically, if you want a versatile chainset, you need cranks with a standard 5 arm, 110mm BCD. You can then get after market chain rings to do what you want, within reason.

The Ultegra bolt pattern is proprietary, as is the Campag compact (the bolt hole behind the crank arm is 113mm). They're not good choices if you want to easily swap rings. Also, Campag compacts used to be 50-36 but now they're 50-34 - you'd need to change both rings.

Rob
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Yes I decided to stop posting in my own name on strava/forums etc after a few lads round here had their garages turned over and bikes nicked - thought I'd use an alias on web forums as you never know - unfortunately this pc had my old log in saved !!

edit - I wouldn't mind sticking to shimano rings tbh if they are available and not silly prices but I take your point. I tend to think sticking within one groupset or at least manufacturer at least you know it should work well together.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Hopefully a quicky, am I right that to get an 11 speed 52*36 setup Campag are basically just selling a 52 ring with their 110BCD - so if I got 11 speed Athena I'd buy a compact and then an additional 52 ring ?

The new Ultegra is using 110BCD so I could stick any ring on the crankset ?

That is correct and the Campagnolo 110/112 chainring...and yes, the FD will shift from a 34 to the 52..just do it slowly. Not ideal, designed for that 16t difference(50/34 or 52/36).

'new' ultegra is 11s and unique to them, 4 arm crank...6700, 10s, yep, 110mm BCD.
  • I looked for prices for the new 6800 chainrings. Cheapest I could find, from Germany, was 11.25 Euros for the 34T which is O.K.. Price for the 50T is 105.00 Euros !