Ultegra 6500 rear mech - new 12-27T cassette

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hey all,

Just taken ownership of a bike running Ultegra 6500 on rear mech - current cassette is 12-23 with standard chainset not compact - I want to to change the cassette for something more like 12-27 to give me an easier uphill gear when in the small ring on the standard chainrings - e.g. 39T / 27T

I've looked around and noticed that 27T is the most the Ultegra 6500 rear mech can use?

Noticed lots of dodgy comments about the Tiagra 12-27T cassette and the BBB one - the Ultegra one looks very 'spenny as this is a 3rd hand winter bike....

Any thoughts on whether the Tiagra 12-27T will work well on the Ultegra 6500 setup with standard chainrings - will the chain be long enough etc? shift into the 1st gear easily?

Cheers

Dubbs.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Check out the Shimano tech docs to be sure, that'll tell you the gear ranges for the mech. Should be ok, I reckon. Chain likely to need some extra links so since you are buying a new cassette, treat yourself to a new chain to go with it and avoid the likely problems.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What issue? You say the mech takes a 27 and the Tiagra you mention is a 27. Am I missing something here?

FWIW I say it will work fine.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks guys - One can buy an Ultegra 6500 12-27T cassette so I assume the mech supports it yeh - Just wanted to make sure - read lots of things about peeps putting a 27T cassette on Ultegra 6500 short arm rear mech and not being able to shift very well - could be the cheap cassette they are putting on I guess though - just wondered if anyone had put one on a 6500 rear mech before?
  • dubbs2009
    Other thing to consider is that this is a bike with standard chainset not compact - so chain will need to be long enough to cope with potential 53T chainring and 27T cassette?
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have that very Ultegra 12-27 cassette you mention on my Spesh Alez Comp, fitted with 6500 drive train. Works perfectly. I don't think you will need a longer chain but, as the Messerschmidt says, a new chain is in order with a new cassette anyway.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Do you want a used Ultegra 9 speed cassette? I have a 12-27 which has seen a few miles, but can do a fair few more. They are better than Tiagra ones in that the splines are more accurate and don't chew up your freehub. If you want it, drop me a PM
    left the forum March 2023