Problem faced while cycling

wassifaziz
wassifaziz Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Road general
I'm new cycling and I was wondering what kind of problems and dangers should I look out for? Just so I can look out for them

Comments

• Squirrels are dangerous.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cars n stuff
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Where to begin?
    Fundamentally it's a fun and safe past time. However, not everybody else on the road cares as much about your safety as you do. Be observant and expect the unexpected.
    Vehicles, sheep, wet lines, wet leaves, wet metalwork and potholes are probably the biggest hazards.

Social dangers are wearing kit that somebody self important thinks you shouldn't, entering the helmet debate or acknowledging or not acknowledging others according to a set of undefined rules that exist in somebody else's head.

Ride the bike and enjoy it. In a few years you'll look back on some rookie errors and new experiences with fondness.
  • I once got my trouser leg caught on my bicycle pump.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Naked women.
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    If you're ever in NI, then look out for cycle lanes. The phrase could do better might be appropriate...

http://nigreenways.wordpress.com/2013/09/15/belfast-cycling-study-tour/
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Bumble bees. Seriously.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Potholes?
  • You should watch out for Wiggle, BE WARNED!

Also be wary of:
    Honey badgers, the zombie apocalypse, slimer from Ghostbusters, tree people, Carnies, Freddy Krueger, Freddy Starr, Freddy Flintoff and Freddy Mercury (the latter is less of a problem these days).

Finally, if you survive until summer, be on the look out for wasps, I hate wasps, they're just cnuts! They're like the angry tramp of the insect world.
  • declan1
    You should watch out for Wiggle, BE WARNED!

How could I have forgotten Wiggle?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Mortars. They can really spoil a sunday morning ride.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    If you're down under.. Dropbears.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • declan1
    Mortars. They can really spoil a sunday morning ride.

Doesn't that come under the pothole category (albeit very large ones)?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Beware of other cyclists. Most of them are morons, including me.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    MrSweary wrote:

+1.
  • Freddy Krueger, Freddy Starr, Freddy Flintoff and Freddy Mercury (the latter is less of a problem these days).

Did you have a bad chilhood experience with an Uncle Freddy that you'd like to share with us....?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    LegendLust wrote:
    Beware of other cyclists. Most of them are morons, including me.

:lol: That made I larf.
  • Check that someone hasn't nicked your saddle before you hop on.

Then watch out for anything moving that might hit you, and anything stationary that you might hit.

Other than that, you're good to go.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    vfast1 wrote:
    Naked women.

This a massive problem for me with my finely honed physique, there are so many they keep blocking the road :shock:

The other problem is trying to justify some pointless expensive upgrade which makes you go faster such as wheels.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Outside of the obvious (big things that can kill you), consider:
      Nodding at other cyclists (in case you get the 'wrong sort'; hint - they may be wearing baggies or Sam Brown belts) Not nodding (and starting a tirade of abuse on a forum by someone that thinks it is mandatory) Socks too long Wearing a special jersey you didn't earn Wearing full team kit but with the wrong bike Taking a wheel without asking Passing somebody (heaven forbid!) Mixing Shimano and Campag Getting clothes that actually fit (depends on a few factors, but don't believe the sizing) Finding a saddle that is comfy and a position that doesn't leave you with dead dingly-danglies (or equivalent)
  • A man asking a simple question............

The responses are spectacular and certainly made me look like a fool in an open plan office by laughing out loud!!!
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Biggest problem is internet fora, stay away, they take up too much cycling time. (Though are OK when the weather is a bit sh1t like I hear it is in other parts of the UK.)
  • Watch out for painted lines and road steel in the wet when you're cornering or turning, they can wipe you out in an instant and the first you realise is when you're picking yourself up off the road.

Don't worry about comparing your riding speed to those quoted on internet forums as people like to exaggerate their ability, not such a problem now with Strava but even there it's possible to cheat.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    typekitty wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

+1.

+2

Those and Hoopsnakes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Have to agree Wiggle is the most dangerous thing, take it from someone who knows :(
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Strava.

STRAVA.png
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Potholes
    Flying insects
    Broken glass
    Cars
    Kids
    Rubbish brake pads in wet weather
    Forgetting to put the brake release back on after changing wheels/tyres/tubes.
    Always have spare tubes on you
    Cross winds
    Head winds
    Fellow cyclists breaking wind
    NAKED WOMEN

That should help.

Chris
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    The Pet Shop Boys could make a song out of that, or that bloke out of The Streets
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    declan1 wrote:
    Bumble bees. Seriously.

Yes, had one bounce of my eyeball when I very briefly removed my glasses to blow something off the lens.

Also startled rabbits dashing out of grass on the roadside verge. I once saw one dash between my wheels when I was doing about 18/19mph. Incredible.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Plus wasps getting trapped in your helmet strap and stinging you repeatedly.