Help an idiot with spokes

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some DT Swiss rims and have a busted spoke. So I thought I'd get a few and fit it myself.

The wheels are Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h, with hubs as follows:

Front - Specialized Hi Lo disc, CNC flange, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS, alloy QR, 28h
Rear - Custom Shimano M525 SL, alloy QR, 32h

Spokes are listed as :
DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless, black, alloy nipples

TBH I'm a bit confused and wonder if rather than have to need all the info above to find the 'exact' one - surely there are 'standard' spokes, no?

Sorry for sounding like a luddite but this is the first time I've done this rather than just throw the bike into the LBS.

Thanks
BJB

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Take spoke to LBS and get them to match it like for like.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The length is the crucial factor, and varies between wheels and even from one side of a wheel to the other. Remove another spoke from the same side of the same wheel and measure from the inside of the J to the end of the spoke. Then look for the same size - DT swiss are very popular and easy to find, so you won't have trouble there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^

Or put all the info into a spoke calculator. You'll need to know hub and rim measurements.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Thanks all.

I saw the spokes can vary to the mm, so am not confident on an accurate measurement. Think I'll go the LBS route and fit myself.

Thanks again
    BJB