Dry feet - is it possible?

futuresbright
futuresbright Posts: 56
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Had a go at most things but nothing seems to work,

Seal skins, neoprene over boots, gaitors but with no success, not a problem really in this milder wet weather but will be later in the year.

Any one found anything new that works?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Give up on trying to keep dry, and wear wool socks (merino is best) that still insulate when wet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Can't keep them dry. Just do your best to keep them warm.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Shimano MW80 boots , Nanoflex waterproof tights over the cuff keeps the rain out , if it gets really wet Mont fetherlights as an extra layer .works for me on 20 mile commute 5 days a week.
  • omegas wrote:
    Shimano MW80 boots , Nanoflex waterproof tights over the cuff keeps the rain out , if it gets really wet Mont fetherlights as an extra layer .works for me on 20 mile commute 5 days a week.

Does the water still run down the top if wearing shorts though?

Could do with sealskin socks with a thin neoprene cuff round the top of ankle, like the dry cags used in watersports that had them round the wrist.
  • I have just purchased some five ten karver shoes with the thing over the laces which kept my feet dry on a very wet ride today, so if a pair of seal skins sock were worn as well I would say feet and ankles would be warm dry and toasty.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I just use a couple of poly bags over my socks - works fine.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    You can keep them dry, wram is the challenge even with skins and merino socks, anyway when its gushing I use knee length seals skins, then full length waterproof trousers over the top, i do not get wet feet, ankle length skins are a bit pointless tbh.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    FishFish wrote:
    Except you will sweat like a pig and have wet feet anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Only way is to wear waterproof trousers or tights that go well over the top of waterproof shoes or socks.

As cooldad says though, with the exception of 2 weeks or so a year you ll sweat so much it ll be irrelevant
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    cooldad wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Not true - you wear them over the socks and if it is cold you are warm and dry - try it and see.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The longer sealskinz- walkers ones- aren't quite perfect but close to. Normal ones I find fairly effective but they don't keep you dry, they just keep you dryer and make sure the water in your socks isn't constantly circulating and being replaced with fresher, colder water. (but a warm sock inside is required too)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Like a few others here I generally accept that I'll get wet and just try and make sure I stay warm. Neoprene overshoes do the job fine for me but I don't tend to feel the cold that badly anyway.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Army surplus MVP socks. I wear them with 5-10s for cycling, or with a pair of beach shoes for kayaking. When kayaking if I pull them up it's like wearing a pair of wellies.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Knee length sealskins over merino socks, whatever walking boot I currently have on the go and long waterproof trousers. Job done.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    FishFish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Not true - you wear them over the socks and if it is cold you are warm and dry - try it and see.

Poly bags are great, as is cling film.

As above, needs to go between sock and shoes to avoid sweating.
  • shimano am41s all year round, with sealskinz always works for me. I agree cooldad that poly bags help in the wonter months.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Shimano MT-91 boots with Meindl Sportwax melted in with a hair-drier
    Gore-Tex hiking gaiters to stop water getting in round the ankles
    Merino wool walking socks

If it's really really cold, take the inner sole out and wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks !
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Levi_501 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Poly bags are great, as is cling film.

As above, needs to go between sock and shoes to avoid sweating.

I remember watching a sex education vid when I was in shcool (and VHS was new) anyway, cling film and poly bags don't work.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i just wear some seal skin socks in my trainers which keep my feet dry but i am looking at buying some am41s as my trainers are looking a bit scruffy.
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    good thread, this weekend my feet got soaked and it was a freezing breeze, man was I cold, couldn't feel my feet for 30mins once I got home :)

Seal skins it is