Which Knee Pads

tobamory
tobamory Posts: 101
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Well did my first trail centre yesterday, had a minor fall, but got some carpet burn esk cuts on both knees, so its time for some pads.

can any body recommend some please. Pro and cons with models etc

Been looking at the Nukeproof ones and Fox, but open to advice etc.

thanks

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I have the Nukeproof Criticals. Comfy, loads of protection, decent price and a good snug fit on my skinny legs, which not many pads are, lol.
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    I have the Nukeproof Criticals. Comfy, loads of protection, decent price and a good snug fit on my skinny legs, which not many pads are, lol.

The same.... But for the Fox pads. You pays your money and makes your choice!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have 661 knee pads (modern equivalent of the Kyle Strait pads). I wouldn't recommend them. Too bulky, too warm and uncomfortable for any sustained pedalling. Fine for three minute downhill runs but thats all.
  • If it's just for general trail riding protection, and you don't need any full on DH, storm trooper-esque protection, have a look at some Gform pads. Nice and light, very flexible, comfy enough to wear all day long. They're made of that "reactive" stuff, the stuff that's soft to touch, but hardens on impact (then returns to being soft again).

I got some to use all the time after I had surgery to rebuild my knees after a MTB accident last year. To my shame though, I keep forgetting to wear them.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have the 661 rage pads great pads comfy loads of protection , i had the nukeprook pads they started splitting after a few months wheras my 661 s still look great after a year and a few falls on them.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I have the 661 rage pads great pads comfy loads of protection , i had the nukeprook pads they started splitting after a few months wheras my 661 s still look great after a year and a few falls on them.

I tried on the new 2014 versions of the Rage (and Rage Hard) recently. The Rage (soft version) felt v comfy, pretty protective and well secured. I'd maybe try those if I was buying now. Not as much impact protection as the Nukeproof maybe, but maybe better for hours of pedalling. The new 2014 Comp AM pad felt like a good budget option too (£32 at my LBS).
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I use kyle straits, but mine need replacing, I do find them very comfy, but the fabric becomes a bit rough if you're lazy and machine wash them (even with fabric softener).
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My Kyle Straits are looking are bit worse for wear now after a couple of big seasons.

They've been great but now have a habit of slipping down. Only probably a couple more weeks of riding left over here so will be in the market for a new pair of pads for next season. Fox Launch Pro's? IXS Flow's ? something else?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I use Endura Mt500 pads, very light, very breathable and offer good protection. I'm well impressed with mine, used them for 6 days straight over 230 miles and had zero issues with them. Pricey, but worth it!
  • Another shout out for kyle straits here. Dont know what i will replace them with when they finally give up.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Another vote for MT500s, I forget I am wearing them. Only downside is not as slimline as some others but doesn't matter too much.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I have the 661 rage pads great pads comfy loads of protection...

+1. I forget I have them on as soon as I start peddling. I literally don't give 'em a single thought when I'm riding.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    when my 661 kyle straights finaly died i spent a while looking for a decent replacement and finally settled on the fox launch pro's

form me they fit better than the 661's and stay up better in a crash. feel a bit warmer than the kyle straights though