Rollers & air pressure

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited October 2013 in Road general
Hi Guys,

What air pressure for your tyres do ye use when on rollers? And do you need a special training tyre for rollers like some people have for turbo trainers?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dav

Comments

• You could run them 10psi softer if you wanted but you can equally run same pressure as you do on the road. Unlike turbo trainers it isn't necessary to have different tires as there isn't the same wear due to there being a little less resistance against the rear wheel. Just a tip recently learnt about training on rollers by myself......don't watch POV cycling DVDs while on them, you really don't want to be leaning into the corners :)
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    You could run them 10psi softer if you wanted but you can equally run same pressure as you do on the road. Unlike turbo trainers it isn't necessary to have different tires as there isn't the same wear due to there being a little less resistance against the rear wheel. Just a tip recently learnt about training on rollers by myself......don't watch POV cycling DVDs while on them, you really don't want to be leaning into the corners :)

Thanks for the advise and feedback. I'm delighted that's there no need for a different tyre.

Cheers
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I use the regular tyres, but find that the lower the tyre pressure the greater the resistance and possibly wear. Much less wear than on the turbo trainer though, where I often find a patch of powdered rubber under the fly wheel if I've used it for any time. I tend to run the pressure around 100 psi on the rollers, just to get a bit of a harder workout, whereas on the road I'll run them at closer to 120psi.

I agree with Cyclingsheep about avoiding leaning into corners at all cost.