bent or misaligned dérailleur?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Does this 105 RD look misaligned or bent? The picture isn't great but the cage is 'leaning' in slightly and the the top jockey wheel is not vertically aligned with the sprocket it's running on. Or is this normal?

hbhe.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks more like jockey wheel issue/wear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Agree - the top jockey wheel looks well worn & leaning over in the cage.
    Probably time for a strip & clean & replace jockey wheels.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • chatlow
    To be honest I think the top jockey wheel is leaning a lot because the cage wasnt indexed correctly. It was too far to the right. Have adjusted it back but the cage still seems to leaning in a bit. Do all RD top jockey wheels have a bit of side play in them? Any reason why the cage leans in and isnt straight up/down?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Better if mech was aligned with smallest sprocket for photo and agree that indexing looks out. All top pulleys 'float' ie move side to side.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Better if mech was aligned with smallest sprocket for photo and agree that indexing looks out. All top pulleys 'float' ie move side to side.
    yes they float but the do not sit at an angle like that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • chatlow
    the below pic is of the RD when indexed. It's looks like the entire hanger is naturally leaning away from the wheel slightly - which might be the reason the top jockey wheel is being tilted. The hanger looks a little better i press it with my finger towards the wheel, but then moves back after. I had the same issue with a 2300 RD and just ignored it. Don't expect it from a 105 RD as all 105's I have had, have been perfect.

3dqq.jpg
  • nicklouse
    as requested a photo in the small cog. and that photo being at an angle does not help really but i am tempted to say hanger might be off but agian hard to say with it not being in the small cog.
  • chatlow
    nicklouse wrote:
    as requested a photo in the small cog. and that photo being at an angle does not help really but i am tempted to say hanger might be off but agian hard to say with it not being in the small cog.

Ah right, OK, missed that sorry. Will get a photo in small cog a bit later (with small or large chainring?). If hanger is off then is this potentially an easy fix or new RD?
  • chatlow
    Here's a picture of the RD on the smallest sprocket, both on the big and small chainring

2yic.jpg
    (Big chainring)

q6yk.jpg
    (Small chainring)

Thanks
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Seems to be a number of issues as others have said, knackered jockey wheels, alignment of the rear mech and looking at the photo a twisted mech, can't see whether the hanger is out, but any good LBS would have an alignment tool to check it out.
  • chatlow
    Velonutter wrote:
    Seems to be a number of issues as others have said, knackered jockey wheels, alignment of the rear mech and looking at the photo a twisted mech, can't see whether the hanger is out, but any good LBS would have an alignment tool to check it out.

So before I go any further, it's best to get the alignment checked at my LBS?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How does it shift [on the road]?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chatlow
    Shifts OK, not great. quite bad between gears 12-15. Drive chain (when in the big chain ring) sounds very rough in gears 17-25 (not that I use the higher end of that combo)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    chatlow wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

So before I go any further, it's best to get the alignment checked at my LBS?

Yep, at least then you can make sure that it isn't causing an issue.