Mud Sweat & Gears 2014

1235»

Comments

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Having used the 'B' line on the first lap i was plesently suprised how shorter it was compared to previous 'B' lines in other races. Seemed just the right length of time and the crate obsticle slowed you down nicely before you merged back with the 'A' line trafic, very clever idea.
  • Excellent race, and the jump/drop thing was great too. It was nice that it looked intimidating, enough to scare off people who would normally cause traffic, and still be relatively flowing and over with quickly, if you know what I mean?

What I'm trying to say is that it didn't cause any queues or jams, which is always nice.
  • evo3ben
    What I'm trying to say is that it didn't cause any queues or jams, which is always nice.

The techy hill up too the drop caused a jam on the first lap of the Sport race with most having to run up it. Clipping back in at the top caused the jam thus some using A line and some using B line.
  • Ah. I just didn't see any holdups during my race or hear of any from anyone, until now I guess.

I still think it was a really well designed feature.
  • evo3ben
    Thing is Paddy you are usually at the front lol :wink:

It was only on the first lap and not a major hold up tbh. Surely it would have been a bit more congested in the Open race on the hill leading to the drop? Still, as you said, was a good feature and the course was very good.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    From where I was in the Open it wasn't too bad I caught behind a couple but jumped off and ran some of it and got back on mid way up. It may well have been bad further back.
  • Whats pleasing about this is that its a discussion about minor delays into an obstacle as opposed to wholesale queuing.

Also agree re B line, the obstacle was Andrew Rileys idea and yep it was a top one, totally scrubbed the speed off at just the right moment to ensure that the rejoin was at a controlled speed and the B line wasn't an advantage.

We also really liked the different coloured tape for the B lines, an idea we have picked up on and will be repeating. (A G'ism for copying :oops: )
  • WindyG
    lol I didn't notice the different coloured tape.
    One thing I did think was better was letting the Juveniles get a better headstart.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    I was coming to watch this Sunday but there engineering work on rail so not going to dick about with buses.
    Codham was alway a good one 8)

Have fun
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • SPROCKET30
    SPROCKET30 Posts: 67
    Codham was great as always.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Great course at Codham over the weekend and the weather was perfect
  • WindyG
    I enjoyed it, the course was a nice mix, that climb to the drop was a tough one. Got my best result so far :-)
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    Lovely day, cracking course, real risk and reward.

One slight negative was the length of time it took to get the Open race running, griding started at 9.40 and the whistle went at nearly 10.10, no point warming up and a shed load of nervous energy used.

Positives far outweigh the negative though.
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    Grony, due to the nature of the course a decision was taken in the morning to give the ladies a clear minutes before setting off the open field, as all of our lady riders were ready, I actually set them off at 9.58 on my watch, from them leaving the grid to the open race starting was just under 6 minutes, 2 factors we had to allow for were, dust hanging in the air on the start straight and that riders had cleared the first hill.

Ive been lucky enough (if that's the correct term) to be Chief Comm at the first 3 rounds, each has had its own unique challenges to be honest, but I would like to think by the lack of complaints, the BC team and Matt/G have been doing it right on the day.

One thing I will say is this, we are all open to ideas as we want to make it a great day out for all riders, come and have a chat, were not a grumpy grey suited bunch really!

Darren.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What did folk think of the mudfest that was Round 4. Man that was hard and the first climb was simply mean. A 1 in 4 just to get your heart pumping. I am really confused though at how some riders managed to have more control than me on slipply bits and managed to do the muddy climbs when my rear wheel just span on the first one. I know I was not on a mud tyre and that did not help but all I saw was folk on standard fair XC tyres. There were places I felt I was along for the ride and the bike did its own thing. That race by the way trashed my helmet garmin mount and my frame. ah well that Orange has served me well over the last 11 years.

Still I sort of liked it and that dropoff was a complete surprise the first time I did it which is a good thing as I normally avoid such things.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • WindyG
    The climbs I didn't mind I took a load of places off the start and up the 1st climb, I did it with a Raplh on the rear and a Ron the front and it wasn't too bad other than that downhill section. My big mistake was using my Anthem the rear clearance was bad and I ended up with over 2 kgs of mud jammed around the linkage/tyre. A few people pulled out after doing a practice lap due to the conditions.
  • Yep sorry about the muddy woods..... totally knackered by the downpours on Saturday am. It would have been an entirely different story without those. I actually took out the very worst sections and left one of those until Sunday morning before doing so as the conditions were changing all the time. Personally I was pretty gutted, as we had prepared a really good fast course which would have been testing, especially with the climb up from the start which is not something you'll see too often in Suffolk.

It actually did it again when we were clearing up. Clear skys, followed by an almighty downpour followed by clear skys. Personally I was very pleased with the way the field area ran, especially the last pit, which claimed very few victims despite looking proper gnarly for the camera.

Cheers

G
  • I actually really enjoyed the course, in a perverse way. I also loved Hylands park and Codham a couple of years ago. Sliding around in the mud on inadequate summer tyres is great fun.
    That said, I had a horrible race, just wasn't feeling it. Although I was quite proud that I didn't get off the bike at any point.
    Well done Matt and G for making the most of some challenging conditions!
  • Could I just ask that if anyone using this forum has contacts with Essex/Herts MTB that you post up asking them not to try to use the MSG course at Radical Bikes from last weekend?

It is on private land, and it is alongside Sites of Special Scientific Interest. It has taken a good deal of effort to obtain permission to use it, and we are now negotiating for permission to use it again next year. In that much depends on the landowners review of outcomes which is currently going on.

The site is used normally by an archery club (who are the guys who marshaled for us), and for shooting. If either of these activities are disrupted,if t here is any disturbance of the SSSI's or if someone irritates the landowner we can simply kiss it goodbye.

Please also note that a number of wire and barbed wire fences were removed for the race, and are being put back in place currently, so riding especially at night is going to be hazardous.

Cheers

G
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    I'm on EHMTB will mention about fences.
    Thanks
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • Last race of the series this weekend people.

Just remember you need to have raced 6 times to get a series ranking and its best 6 out of 8 that count.