What powertap build?

epo-aholic
epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I've decided to take the plunge and go for a powertap G3 to help with my training over the winter in a vain attempt to obtain some structure for once.....

I'll use the wheels as my 'good' or race set so i'd like to build something relatively light but fairly strong and without casting a fortune....carbon rims are out. I'm 75kg's and have gone for a 28h rear and was thinking either a 24 or 20h front.

The only rim i've considered so far is the Stan's alpha 340 as i use the crest on the mtb and like the idea of possibly running tubeless in the future, are there any other rims to consider? Also what spokes to use?

Any suggestions and even better links to deals on bits would be gratefully received,

Thanks in advance, JB

Comments

• If you want to go tubeless, Velocity A 23 is the best option... the Stan's are kind of soft at low spoke count and they have a reputation for cracking at the holes
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Stans Alpha 400 would be the Stan rim to go for as it is heavier than stiffer than the 340 or the velocity A23 it is cheaper and probably better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I've got a powertap built 28h to an Hplus archetype - rides pretty well, is light-ish but I wouldn't say it's particularly lively. If I was planning to race, I'd go with a mavic rim