Talon 3/w3 differences??

Bulletproofbob
Bulletproofbob Posts: 33
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Folk/guru's I've googled to no avail, I bought the wife a medium giant talon3 which is spot on for what we use it for (mostly tow paths n bridle ways) but I dropped on it at a good price in a rather manly blue colour scheme.... Question is this, I want to get her a frame and build her bike into this once painted how she wants it, is there and geometry differences between talon 3 an the w3?? Or was it just girliefied paint??

It's not an overly buying question but where would it go??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's the question again?
    In simple English.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bulletproofbob
    Bulletproofbob Posts: 33
    edited October 2013
    Question is this, I want to get her a frame and build her bike into this once painted how she wants it, is there and geometry differences between talon 3 an the w3?? Or was it just girliefied paint?

I thought that was plain enough?? After a ladies frame to build her bits onto unless the w3 is just pure branding

Ok I re read that and I'll admit a rather winding route around the houses :oops:
  • What year ? Just googled and certainly for 2014 the geometry and some parts of frame and components differ. ( bike radar article )
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I think I must be missing something. You want to buy a women's frame an repaint that then build the bike onto it, yet you say the existing frame is spot on. Why not just repaint the existing frame, if she's that bothered about the colour?
  • If I rebuild hers it will be a far longer period off the tracks than if I paint a second frame...

The bike is circa 2010 I think
  • What year ? Just googled and certainly for 2014 the geometry and some parts of frame and components differ. ( bike radar article )

Can you give me a link to that? I'm google intolerant I think
  • Kowalski675
    If I rebuild hers it will be a far longer period off the tracks than if I paint a second frame...

Strip the bike Sunday evening, drop the frame off Monday, pick it up Friday, rebuild it Friday evening, ready for the weekend.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-38013/

Do note this applies to 2014 not sure re other years. I just googled giant talon womens and got several results.
  • If I rebuild hers it will be a far longer period off the tracks than if I paint a second frame...

Strip the bike Sunday evening, drop the frame off Monday, pick it up Friday, rebuild it Friday evening, ready for the weekend.

Not that simple due to kids/work/life.... I did consider this but it isn't a goer. Whilst looking for a 3 to do a straight swap I spotted the w3 hence my question...
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/giant-2014-mountain-bikes-first-look-38013/

Do note this applies to 2014 not sure re other years. I just googled giant talon womens and got several results.

Cheers, I'll have a gander
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or leave it the colour it is. Glue some glitter on and call it fairy dust.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or leave it the colour it is. Glue some glitter on and call it fairy dust.

We both chuckled at that, but I sensed hostility beneath her laugh!!! She's no pink glitter girl
  • Kowalski675
    She's no pink glitter girl

So leave the colour as it is and ride it. :wink:
  • She's no pink glitter girl

So leave the colour as it is and ride it. :wink:

As constructive as all this is...... Good to see your a fellow west yorks
  • Kowalski675
    I am indeed (albeit half Scottish too). Which part are you in?
  • Just outside castleford, Sat on tow paths and bridle ways to Leeds Selby etc et
  • Kowalski675
    Good old Cas Vegas, lol. Had loads of powdercoating done there over the years. Used to spend many a Friday/Sat night in Selby too.
  • Lol yeah there's a few good powder coating places, Lsn near the cas ground is the one I've used the most
  • Kowalski675
    Lol yeah there's a few good powder coating places, Lsn near the cas ground is the one I've used the most

Yeah, had loads done there over the years, their quality seems more consistent these days.
  • Yeah I think it's regular guy doing it, one of them left to open Midas touch at the other end of town and to be honest they're good too!! All manor of fancy coatings and stuff!! I guess your not far away then.
  • Kowalski675
    I looked at Midas Touch before I had my Street Triple wheels done, but was really unimpressed with the quality of the parts thet showed me, particularly some really patchy, uneven candies.

I'm over near Shipley, but used to spend a lot of time over that way, my old best mate and riding partner in crime lived in Sherburn, so had many a night out in Selby and Ponte, occasionally Cas.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    All bikes are the same colour after 10 minutes riding this time of year.