Winter tyres. Too much to think about.

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
It's approaching the wet side of the year again and I've yet to buy some tyres.

Right now, I have a Conti Race King 2.2 at the back and a 2.3 Speed King and what I've gathered on my ride today, they're not exactly best suited to mud, roots and wet chalk/flint (South Downs stuff). Although I didn't crash, it was very difficult to get traction on the front wheel once lifted and the back wheel wandered off when I pedalled (both tyres at 28psi - I'm a light person).

Last year I had Conti MTB King 2.4" wire tyres at £27 for both wheels. They lasted me the winter but although very grippy and had quite a bit of life after 1500 miles, were quite puncture prone.

I'm not sure whether to buy another pair this year (folding) or try something new. (budget is £50 for a pair - stretching it, £60)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :mrgreen:
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I like XR Mud - though it would be good if they did them a bit wider than 2.0
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    XR muds are good for cutting through the slop and they find traction anywhere. As a mud tyre they are great but thats all they are good for.
    Something like a Continental Baron should be good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maxis Beaver is a well rated 'winter' tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If you did basic mountain king I gather the black chilli folders are much better. I took basic wire mountain king off very quickly as they felt unsafe to me . Currently running bontrager xr4 team issue and they are coping well on wet roots and mud . Thought I may have to change for winter but apart from the odd area that is rutted and gloopy due to horses I am fine. ( even then I can get through and they don't clog up)
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Was really impressed with my black chili rubber queens today
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Depends how much mud there is where you ride. Not too bad for me & I find 2.35 High Rollers a good option. Sometimes opt for a thinner mud tyre on the back though that said - not often though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • MTB noob
    Mud isn't really a huge problem for me. The majority of the stuff I ride on is exposed roots, rocks and chalk. I did consider Rubber Queens but the fact that they're almost a kilo would make my XC bike heavier than a Santa Cruz V10.

Maxxis Beaver on the other hand does look like a good option but they unfortunately don't do it in a large tyre size.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    XR muds are good for cutting through the slop and they find traction anywhere. As a mud tyre they are great but thats all they are good for.
    Something like a Continental Baron should be good.

Complete tosh. They're just about the most allround of the winter tyres as they're not draggy as fuck. They are also the weapon of choice, along with the Panaracer Trailraker, which offers similar mud grip but IS a drag, of most of the riders that I know who do the wonderful chalk-soap surface of the South Downs trails.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Maxis Beaver is a well rated 'winter' tyre.

Are these better than maxxis medusa as a winter tyre and would you use these only on back or front as well ?

I see they do a 2.25 size which could be used as a front tyre.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Wet screams for me when its muddy.
  • MTB noob
    The wet scream looks like a thin MX style tyre which for the South Downs are NOT a good option. I tried a pair of Medusas up on the hills and with wet chalk, I'd be better off with tubular road tyres.

I had 2 moving wheel lock-ups and 4 bails in 5km of riding - the first time I've encountered traction that poor in my whole MTB experience (including many snow & sub-zero rides).