Winter Tyres

Rigger/frigger
Rigger/frigger Posts: 44
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Guys and Girls,

This will be my first winter on the MTB. I recently purchased my first bike and ended up going for the Rockrider 8.1. The bike came with Michelin xc tyres on it and I thought these were ok until I went on a slippy, wet ride and I lost loads of traction and sometimes the bike didn't even go where I pointed it because of the slippy surface. The tyres fitted are 26 x 2.0. Would I need to change the rims if I wanted to fit a wider tyre or would I be able to fit a wider tyre? Can anyone recommend a decent winter tyre that doesn't cost more than say £35 a tyre? Thanks all.

Comments

• Alex-x4
    Alex-x4 Posts: 15
    Welcome to winter mtb riding.
    I rate Bontrager Mud XR TEAM tyres - They are cheap, good for our 'damp' British winters, cut into the mud well and are not too slow rolling. Good all-rounders. Note that they are not wide though, but that's a good thing when riding in muddy conditions.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -2in-9241/

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... tAodTmwA-Q

PS i really recommend you go tubeless. So worth it. Not only does it save weight but you will greatly have far less stops to repair punctures. I went a whole year of riding XC every weekend without punctures. Do give it a go. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/stans-no ... 77993.html
    PS its easy to convert yourself AS LONG AS you have a high volume track stand pump (£30), otherwise impossible.

Good luck!
  • Cheers Alex,

To be honest its all a minefield to me, I have been looking at tyres for the last 3 hours on the net (missus ain't happy!) I am trying to work out what size/make and what is best value for money.
    One more question my rim is 559 x 19c what size tyre could I go up to and not experience any major issues.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Cheers Alex,

To be honest its all a minefield to me, I have been looking at tyres for the last 3 hours on the net (missus ain't happy!) I am trying to work out what size/make and what is best value for money.
    One more question my rim is 559 x 19c what size tyre could I go up to and not experience any major issues.

I think I mounted some Nobby Nic on my 8.1 with a width of 2.35, I am not at home right now but could check later in the week
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • You really don't need wider than 2.0, maxxis beavers are a great all round winter tyre. Although I am not sure of their cost in the uk.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Cheers jeannot 18 that would be great. Hopefully i would of choose by tonight to get them ordered for monday as i want to get out over next weekend.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Beaver is a very well rated all round winter tyre.

Michelin tyres never seem to be very good in the wet/cold, I have a set I use for summer when they are awesome, but cold and wet and they come off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    +1 for beavers, really rate them
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Moderate mud: continental rubber queen 2.4
    Extreme mud : panacer trail raker or specialized storm control
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I know they don't roll fast but my favourite is the Maxxis Minion DH tyre in 2.35"

Sticks to the trail like sh*t to a blanket and clear the mud pretty quickly.

Think they cost about £35 per tyre for the harder compound ones. To be honest, I use them all year round. :)
    It's been a while...
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Try some maxxis beavers or bontrager xr mud or spesh storm control.

I have some spesh ground control 2.1 tyres on my bike and they cope well with a little bit of mud.

On the subject of maxxis beavers, how well do they roll on hard pack soil etc ?