Bike Questions for a newbie.

Doherz
Doherz Posts: 3
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm pretty new to mountain biking and want to get into on a more serious basis, the bike I have now is just cheap trash I've had for few years as a run around.

Now I'm looking for something that can handle some reasonable XC and trail riding and be useful for a 4 mile commute 4 days a week.

My budgets around £300, I can possibly stretch to £400, now reading around suggests that the Voodoo Bantu and the Rockrider 5.3 are about the best budget buys.

However I have also seen a few other bikes that appear to be similar in specs and pricing
there is the GT Aggressor 1.0 2013 (I cannot decide if the lime green is either rather fetching or just too loud and I'm guessing the sub 100m travel on the forks is a red flag) and also the Felt Six 80 2013 that I found on wiggle. I ask because I've not really seen any reviews on either of these bikes or brands.

I am also happy enough buying second hand but I'm not entirely sure what models I should be looking for and how best to tell if I'm getting a quality product. So does anyone have an recommendations of bikes I should look for on Ebay etc and also if possible a guide or the like to buying bikes on Ebay.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The gt and felt are let down by awful forks ie they have no damping. The rockrider and voodoo are far better.
  • I got a brand new in the box Voodoo Bokor for £375 RRP £675 of eBay,just make sure they have loads of positive feedback from buyers,also check out 2012 voodoo hoodoo & carerra fury on ebay
  • Doherz
    Doherz Posts: 3
    supersonic wrote:
    The gt and felt are let down by awful forks ie they have no damping. The rockrider and voodoo are far better.
    Thanks I wouldn't have noticed that, I've been thinking the rockrider was the best bet but I obviously wanted to know as much as possible beforehand. I gathered the recommended bikes were chosen for a reason.
    I got a brand new in the box Voodoo Bokor for £375 RRP £675 of eBay,just make sure they have loads of positive feedback from buyers,also check out 2012 voodoo hoodoo & carerra fury on ebay

Cheers a I'll have a look out for them.