Anyone know anything about Canyon sizing?

bartersb
bartersb Posts: 63
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I have ordered a Canyon Inflite Al 8.0s for the purposes of winter training. I used their PPS sizing & it put me on a 58cm. Now a Canyon 58cm seems a bit smaller than other 58cm I am accustomed to. With an effective top tube of 56.3cm and a 57cm seat tube, head tube measures 16cm.

I currently ride a 58cm Scott CR1 with a 110mm stem and am very content. This has a top tube of 57.5cm, seat tube 58cm, 19.6cm head tube (which I ride with stem slammed).

The 60cm Canyon measures up with a 58.2cm top tube, 59.5cm seat tube, 18cm head tube.

My measurements are:
Height 187cm
Inseam 89cm
Torso length 62cm
Shoulder width 46cm
Arm length 64.5cm

So what would you put me on a 58cm or 60cm? One or the other with either a 120mm stem or 100mm stem respectively. Just worried about the saddle to handlebar drop with the 58cm which I imagine would be quite a lot.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I'm your height and would get the 60
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Looking at the dimensions of the Canyon and the Scott, I would suggest the 58cm Canyon should be fine.

The most meaningful dimension is the stack, which, on the Canyon is 590mm, the Scott 603mm, this means that the top of the head tube on the Canyon would be 13mm lower than the Scott, so in theory (assuming these dimensions are correct) you would need 13mm of spacing under the stem if you have 0mm on the Scott.

The seat angle on the Canyon is 73.5 as opposed to the Scott at 73.3 so you would need to add 2mm to the top tube length of the Canyon to compensate for the difference, so effectively you would be looking at a top tube on the Canyon of 565mm as opposed to 575mm on the Scott taking the slight difference in the seat angle into account.

So I would say the 58cm Canyon with a 12cm stem and 13mm (approximately) spacing under the stem, should work out spot on.

The stack by the way, is the vertical height difference between the centre of the bottom bracket and the centre at the top of the head tube.

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk
  • Thanks Hewitt. That is more reassuring. I am hearing all sorts of things from different people. What is for sure I am either a 58cm or 60cm!

Someone suggested trying the zinn tool so I did. Put me on a much larger bike than I ride today & suggested some monster cranks!!

.cm
    Torso: 62
    Arm plus torso: 126.5
    Seat Tube Length (c. to top) w/ Stock Crank (165mm-180mm): 59.5
    Seat Tube Length (c. to top) w/ Ideal Crank: 57.8
    Horizontal Top Tube Length (c. to c.) : 60.1
    Seat Height Pedal Spindle to Saddle Top: 97
    Seat Ht. BB c. to Saddle Top w/ Ideal Crank: 77.8
    Seat Ht. BB c. to Saddle Top w/ Stock Crank: 79.5
    Stem Length: 12.7
    Ideal Crank Length: 19.2
    Stock Crank Length: 17.5
    BB Height w/ Ideal Crank: 28.6
    BB Height w/ Stock Crank: 26.9
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I'd treat online calculators with a pinch of salt - studies have found even experienced physios will differ on measuring dimensions like arm length.

Looking at the stack on that Canyon it is massive for the length of the head tube so the bigger one might be too tall right enough.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Cheers DeValaeminck. Any idea how I would figure out my saddle to handlebar drop (with no spacers) on the 58cm? I have had my saddle height to center bb properly fitted it & it is 78.3cm.
  • You need to confirm your position first, if you are happy with the position you currently have as suggested in your initial post, then the 58cm would be the frame size to go for.

To calculate or set you bar drop then measure from the floor to the top of the saddle, then measure from the floor to the top or centre of the bars (be consistent with this and check which way the bike fitting drawing dimensions are measured), taking one from the other gives you the drop to the bars.

If you are wanting to know what your bar drop would be without any spacing, it should be 13mm lower, calculate this by the stack on the Scott minus the stack on the Canyon. This will be a millimetre or two higher with 1cm longer stem fitted (assuming the stem angle is the same).

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ...and that the stem stack height is the same, as if the stem stack height is shorter, half of this difference in height will contribute to more drop if slammed.
  • I am happy with my current position. The CR1 is a sportive frame. I have no issue with increasing my saddle to bar drop by c.1cm.
    At present I have a 5mm spacer under the stem of the Scott but that is for warranty reasons. If that wasn't necessary I would not bother with it as I am sure I would be comfortable without. I am 34 with good flexibility.

So basically I think you incredibly helpful guys are saying is that I should go for the 58cm Canyon with 120mm stem. There will be an increased saddle to bar drop vs where I am today. However, given I feel I could comfortably drop further it's nothing that 1cm of spacers wouldn't take care of. I even have room to increase my drop should I feel I can.
  • Went for the 58cm with 120mm stem in the end.

Also had a go at competitive cyclist fit calculator. With competitive fit puts me on a bike with big seat tube & short top tube. In that case the Canyon fit should be perfect!

Road Bike Fit Summary

The Competitive Fit (cm)
    Seat Tube Range c–c: 57.6 - 58.2 cm
    Seat Tube Range c–t: 59.4 - 59.9 cm
    Top Tube Length: 55.1 - 55.5 cm
    Stem Length: 11.5 - 12.1 cm
    BB–Saddle Position: 78.9 - 80.9 cm
    Saddle Handlebar: 54.8 - 55.4 cm
    Saddle Setback: 6.8 - 7.2 cm
  • i have two Canyons and went for a size up from what was stated on their size guide.

i spoke to someone at Canyon and they confirmed this before i made my purchase.

not sure why the the webiste suggests a smaller size because if i had gone with this they would have been tiny even with ajusting the stem!
  • Hi,

I am looking to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Di2.

Their on-line measuring puts me at a small, having spoken to the UK office, the guy told me I should 'go for medium without a doubt'.

Does anyone with similar measurements to me (see below) have the bike? If so, what size did you go for and how is the fit?

height - 173cm
    inseam - 81 cm
    torso - 61 cm
    shoulder - width - 43 cm
    arm length - 62 cm
    'Ape Index' - 178cm i.e. - 5cm longer than height

Thanks

Lee
  • Good luck Lee. I am 187cm & am sticking to the 58cm + 120mm.
    Inflite arrives in about 3 weeks. Hope it fits....
  • obj2000uk
    obj2000uk Posts: 35
    bartersb - Did things work out well with the 58 Canyon with a 120 stem?
    My measurements are exactly the same as yours and I'm in just the same quandary about the SLX sizing.

Cheers