Rear hub rattle

tilt
tilt Posts: 214
edited November 2013 in The workshop
Started noticing a slight rattle in my rear hub, only really noticeable when the bikes on the stand as the rear wheel slows down, sounds like something loose in the hub somewhere.

Taken the axle out, bearings all seated fine. Cleaned, regreased and re-assembled but the noise remains. Any ides? I'm thinking it's probably the freehub body?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably yes.....could it be something stuck in a double wall rim?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    The Rookie wrote:
    Probably yes.....could it be something stuck in a double wall rim?

Pretty sure it's coming from the hub itself. Will whip it off and have a check, just need to work out what I need to remove it (10mm allen key is too small)...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most are imperial (forget the size) but an 11mm allen does the job.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is it possibly a nipple that was dropped into the rim when the wheel was being built. I did that when I replaced the rim on one of my wheels. It could possibly be that.
    Graham Le Maitre