USA tapping Merkel's phone

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Reuters) - The German government has obtained information that the United States may have monitored the mobile phone of Chancellor Angela Merkel and she called President Barack Obama on Wednesday to demand an immediate clarification, her spokesman said.

In a strongly worded statement, the spokesman said Merkel had told Obama that if such surveillance had taken place it would represent a "grave breach of trust" between close allies.

"She made clear that she views such practices, if proven true, as completely unacceptable and condemns them unequivocally," the statement read.

0,,17180179_303,00.jpg

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/ ... Y720131023

If it's true, I am surprised they do it considering the risks of getting found out.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Team America.
    Frick* yeah!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Bloody hell! I wouldn't. I bet Obama wouldn't either.

0,,17180179_303,00.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Seems like a bit of an own goal by the NSA, as they are not supposed to have found out very much about Merkel or any of the other leaders they monitored.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Maybe they' re trying to get tips on how to run a national economy.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    tim wand wrote:
    Maybe they' re trying to get tips on how to run a national economy.

And shaving tips - she's got no stubble at all...... :lol:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    She looks like she's taking it back to Carphone Warehouse because the camera's stopped working. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Ah, but there's a story behind the story. All govts spy on all other govts which is why all govts make security arrangements. The REAL story appears to be the "targeting the private phone calls and text messages of millions of French people", but by focusing on the top brass, the genuine story is squashed.

I don't care if Cameron's phone is recorded. I expect it to be tapped and I expect him to take measures to minimise the discussion of sensitive information. I don't expect MY phone calls to be recorded, however, particularly be a foreign state.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Do the Yanks speak foreign languages? They can't even speak English. They're idea of speaking with foreigners is to shout loudly in Americain.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dilemna wrote:
    Do the Yanks speak foreign languages? They can't even speak English. They're idea of speaking with foreigners is to shout loudly in Americain.
    Much the same with the British.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    She looks like she's taking it back to Carphone Warehouse because the camera's stopped working. :lol:

It's a Blackberry, that's the least of her worries :)
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Spies spy!!! Shock
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    daviesee wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Once had a Frenchman in our shop asking for directions, he was having trouble understanding what he was being told. Another customer stepped forward saying he could speak French, he then bellowed at the poor guy in English "YOU GO DOWN THE ROAD AND ..." whilst making really exaggerated testiculations about each turning. That was a bit odd to put it mildly.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Once had a Frenchman in our shop asking for directions, he was having trouble understanding what he was being told. Another customer stepped forward saying he could speak French, he then bellowed at the poor guy in English "YOU GO DOWN THE ROAD AND ..." whilst making really exaggerated testiculations about each turning. That was a bit odd to put it mildly.
    I imagine getting his scrotum to indicate left and right must have been a sight to behold.
  • Sounds like he was talking b*****s!
  • dilemna wrote:

Oh the irony of your statement. Saying Americans can not speak English, then using they're (conjugation of they are) when you mean their. Are you American?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    If it wasn't for the Americans we would be talking German.

This isn't news, anything you hear is what you are meant to hear. The biggest nanny states on earth are those of the west.
    Living MY dream.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Sh1t sticks, maybe the Germans were going for a bit of revenge and thinking third time lucky.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Imagine having to listen to all that baloney...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Capt Slog wrote:

Well if she's been using it for self-portraits then I'm not surprised.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Well if she's been using it for self-portraits then I'm not surprised.

Bada bing zing!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    If it wasn't for the Americans we would be talking German./quote]

Das erklärt, warum alle meine deutschen Freunde mit einem amerikanischen Akzent Englisch sprechen :D

Ya Ya.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Maybe there's one of these knocking around in the basement somewhere, so she could at least encrypt her texts?:

449px-EnigmaMachineLabeled.jpg

Cebonoyl orfg gb punatr gur pbqr, gubhtu!
  • team47b wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    If it wasn't for the Americans we would be talking German./quote]

Das erklärt, warum alle meine deutschen Freunde mit einem amerikanischen Akzent Englisch sprechen :D

Ya Ya.

Alles nur wegen die fernsehsendungen.