Tyre & light mounting advice required

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hello all I've just bought a bike with new Michelin pro 4 tyres on but have heard that gp4000s tyres would be better during winter is this correct or will mine do. Also my madone has a carbon oval type seat post, how do I mount my rear light as it obviously is made to fit a round tube - it's a smart r2 rear cheers for any advice
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Hi Mosa

Congrats on the new bike!

Those are some nice tyres you've got - but yes, probably best saved for summer. I'd personally recommend Schwalbe Duranos (ideally in the 25mm profile) for winter - you probably want something a bit harder-wearing and more puncture-resistant that the Michelins. Conti Gatorksins are another option which many swear by but I've no direct personal experience of those.

With regards to the rear light, frankly I'd get a new one. Modern rear lights like Cateye's Rapid-X are designed specifically to be compatible with aero seatposts and would be a good way to go.

Hope that helps!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,412
    I fitted my Smart Lunar LED back light to the seat stay.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Cateye do a very neat saddle rail mount called the RM-1. Couple that to a Rapid 3 rear LED light and it makes for a very neat under saddle combination.

Only downsides are;

1. If you wear a jacket that is not close fitting it may block the light.
    2. Depending on saddle pack type (assuming you have one) it may not fit.

I have one on my TT bike with a broad aero seatpost and it looks very neat and tidy.

PP