Padded Tights

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
This winter I thought I would invest in some padded tights. Bought some medium from wiggle. Perfect in length, too tight in fit. Bought some large better in fit but way too long and bunch up and uncomfortable.

I have larger than average legs for my height. Bout 29 inner legs.

Looked online for leg lengths in padded tights but no avail. Any of you have similar issues or advice?

Cheers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Do you have particularly large legs? I wear Assos tights or leg warmers, don't bother with padded, just put them over padded shorts. I find theirs come up shorter than some - Lusso and Endura were much longer. Not cheap, but last years.

Try going into a real shop and trying different brands. I would say not to limit yourself to padded too.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    njee20 wrote:
    Do you have particularly large legs? I wear Assos tights or leg warmers, don't bother with padded, just put them over padded shorts. I find theirs come up shorter than some - Lusso and Endura were much longer. Not cheap, but last years.

Try going into a real shop and trying different brands. I would say not to limit yourself to padded too.

I do yeah. Thing is that no one stocks a decent selection. really. will have another look though.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Would help if you said what brand you actually tried...
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    For mountainbiking I found the Endura non bib tights were good. I wore them over padded bib shorts and under baggy shorts. On the road I tried various brands but decided that the DHB padded tights from Wiggle were spot on for me. Ive has Assos jerseys, shorts and jackets so yes the quality is there but I'm more than happy with the DHB ones. Unfortunately it's very much a case of having to buy and try online as a lot of bike shops don't stock many that I've come across. Padded bib tights are more comfortable for me as I only need to wear a pair of baggys over them whereas the waist high non padded means I'm wearing 3 layers with padded bib shorts, unpadded tights and baggys. The DHB ones are also good in so far as they have a small zip at the front from the chest to just above crotch height which is very handy and saves the need to become a contortionist to have a pee without taking everything off, generally immediately after I've put it all on!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • bully74uk
    bully74uk Posts: 20
    edited October 2013
    lbalony wrote:
    This winter I thought I would invest in some padded tights. Bought some medium from wiggle. Perfect in length, too tight in fit. Bought some large better in fit but way too long and bunch up and uncomfortable.

I have larger than average legs for my height. Bout 29 inner legs.

Looked online for leg lengths in padded tights but no avail. Any of you have similar issues or advice?

Cheers

Im guessing you are quite short height wise then as I also have a 29" leg and have to buy short fitting jeans etc.

Anyway back to the point. Due to having quite short legs I always have trouble buying anything trouser wise that doesn't come in a short leg fitting, including cycling tights as they are nearly always too long in the leg.

I purchased these winter cycling tights in a medium (im a 32 waist) after reading a positive review on a cycling web site:

http://www.ridebosh.com/mens_clothing/l ... nsert.html

Fit is spot on, not too long so no bunching up. Nice and warm for the winter months with very good padding. Great value for money too. I will be buying more of their products for sure.

EDIT: Just found the review:
    http://road.cc/content/review/53804-rid ... hts-insert
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Padded shorts and knee warmers - sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There you go. Tights and leg warmers. Sorry about the buttocks.
    leg-warmers.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • No need to apologise cool dad...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I use £10 padded muddy fox ones from sports direct, I wear waterproofs over the top as I cant be seen in faggy lycra.
  • cooldad
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I use £10 padded muddy fox ones from sports direct, I wear waterproofs over the top as I am not confident with my sexuality.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    cooldad wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I use £10 padded muddy fox ones from sports direct, I wear waterproofs over the top as I am not confident with my sexuality.
    You're hot, dont be shy.

Why thank you CD x
  • cooldad
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    You're hot, dont be shy.

Why thank you CD x
    PMd big boy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The sad thing is you actually looked.
    Just playing hard to get.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    cooldad wrote:
    The sad thing is you actually looked.
    Just playing hard to get.

Lies, Damned Lies and Mountainbikers from London.