Decisions! Roubaix sport comp 2013 or BMC SL01 2012

kentcollins
kentcollins Posts: 2
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
I'm having a dilemma choosing a bike. Wondering if the experts out there can help me decide.

I'm looking for an all seasons road bike. Looking for light weight for speed, but also fairly tough for the winter season (I live in the UK), and something that will last (don't mind upgrading/replacing brakes/group set's when wear and tear sets in).

I will be using the bike mainly for commuting, which is about 100 miles a week. Plus some cycles in-between on the weekends, I may even participate in organised rides in the future to. I'm not new to cycling, but new to road bikes (I used to do a lot of mountain and downhill). With the road bike I'm mainly looking at comfort, I have pretty chunky legs and I'm more of a stocky build, 76kg and 5'9".

The root is fairly smooth although a little bumpy in places with fallen tree branches, although the root is a converted rail track, which is mostly asphalt, but in the winter it gets fairly messy with leaves and branches. I have rounded down to two bikes within my budget (£1400). That is the BMC SL01 2012, which looks great to start with and really impressed by its weight of around 8.2kg, although I keep seeing posts its not very forgiving on rougher surfaces. The other option is the Roubaix sport 2013 comp, it has 105 shifters and is carbon to, the comfort of the bike attracts me and also looks pretty!

Just wondering what you guys here think of these bikes?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank you in advanced :D

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Try to ride both. I love my Rouabaix, it's sooooo smooth and just soaks up bad roads. Love the Toupe+ saddle too. After 100 miles only my legs get sore, the rest of me could do another 100. 105 is fine, you'll have no problems there. But both bikes could benefit from a wheel upgrade, that's where manufacturers skimp.

The Roubaix Pro tyres (it should come with these) are good in the winter. I've used them on muddy leaf strewn non-tarred cycle tracks with no problems. Never punctured either.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!