£2500 to spend on a FS thinking Canyon Spectral

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

Although not new to cycling most of my riding is on road but through friends I recently discovered trail and single track and I am currently on hols in S.America and rose the death road in Bolivia on a FS Specialized. I am now in the market for a FS and bang for buck Canyon looks hard to beat.

Anyone got experience of them?

Also looking for buying advice for a FS trail AM bike in the £2000-£2500 region.

I'm a smudge over 6'6" tall do I will need a large frame.

Thanks in advance for ur suggestions

Xom
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• No idea how it will ride but I really like the look of the spectral. Especially in that metallic red.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Don't buy the red whatever you do. You will regret it. I have seen them in the flesh and they are terrible. At 6'6 I recon you may be in XL territory?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dotto
    dotto Posts: 104
    Jus get a lower specced Spectral and spend the rest of the money on a skills course etc. At least you will have the ability to ride the bike to it's potential.
  • Xommul
    Thanks for the replies.
    The wait time for the new spectral is April 2014. Long time to wait with only a 12 yr old trek 4300 to mess around on in the meantime. Might have to buy a HT before then. The canyon Grand Canyon 29 looks good. I'm having difficulty finding a HT with 27.5 wheels in a XL frame size. I'm thinking 27.5 bikes are not meant for tall riders like me.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Mate specced up this Rose Granite Chief, looks like a cracking spec for the money - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-gr ... plate=true
  • Xommul
    Hi folks,

I have an order now on a canyon Spectral AL 29 7.9. Saving some cash for pedals, shoes, lights , helmet etc plus insurance.

Had a look into skills courses, that's another £150 plus travel and overnight accommodation.

Got to wait till April tho so will post pics then.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Xommul wrote:
    Had a look into skills courses, that's another £150 plus travel and overnight accommodation.

Dunno wherabouts you are, but I can recommend Ed Oxley at Great Rock:

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/courses/