Getting off, getting back on, shouldering

antsmithmk
antsmithmk Posts: 717
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Why are these skills so hard :-(
I've been practising on the local field today falling off in front of the dog walkers :-( I managed to crush my balls trying to hop back on as well. Any tips or help?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Getting off is something that can be practiced in slow motion, and then sped up once you have the moves right. You can also practice it whenever you ride a bike with SPD-ish pedals (eg commuting). There's no reason most dismounts can't be done CX-style. Once you have the dismount right shouldering is easy, and again you can practice it in slow motion.

I don't think I'm slick enough at getting on to be dishing out advice to others, but I hope someone else on here is. In particular, any tips on remounting on a gentle uphill gradient would be welcome...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I managed to crush my balls trying to hop back on as well. Any tips or help?

We've all done it. Only after you've done it one time too many do you learn to land on the inside of your upper thigh, rather than your knackers.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    It's one of the main attractions of cross, isn't it? :)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    There's a five part Martin Eadon vid on youtube that explains technique quite well. Worth watching if you have an hour to kill. Then practice again and again...
  • Thanks will check it out
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    andyp wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I managed to crush my balls trying to hop back on as well. Any tips or help?

We've all done it. Only after you've done it one time too many do you learn to land on the inside of your upper thigh, rather than your knackers.

:D Yep...still haven't mastered that one :shock:
    Doesn't seem to hurt as much in a race than it does in training though....must be all that adrenaline stuff.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Only just learnt to jump back on (proper air style!) recently. I have yet to crush a nut! I found doing an really exaggerated step over the saddle and into the pedal from stood still helped. Then practiced by walking along side and I aim for the inside of my thigh and slide the bum on! This helps to avoid the tender parts.
    Now I can do it running which is good fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1lQPmyo6g
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rarely do you need to shoulder a bike, except in the case of running up a steep bank (or the 3 Peaks), most times when encountering hurdles, it's simply a case of grabbing the bars and seattube in the other and lifting it a foot off the ground. Again, practise makes perfect - set-up some garden canes, a foot-high and about 10 feet apart.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Don't forget to practice getting on on the "wrong" side as well. Shouldering is rare, but it's still worth practicing. You may only face one or two courses where it is necessary, but you will encounter that hill 5 or 6 times in one race!