spindle length

BazP
BazP Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm getting ready to build an On One Inbred as a 1x10 speed, it's got a 68mm bb but what spindle length will I need ? Cheers for any help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the crankset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or it does not matter as it depends on the crankset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BazP
    It's a single speed crankset that was previously used with a hub gear set up
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to know what and check the manufacturers tech docs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    BazP wrote:
    It's a single speed crankset that was previously used with a hub gear set up
    and that tells us nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almnost certainly between a 108mm and a 123mm......I leap to the assumption it's a square taper as you haven't chosen to share that snippet of detail yet either!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    The Rookie wrote:
    Almnost certainly between a 108mm and a 123mm......I leap to the assumption it's a square taper as you haven't chosen to share that snippet of detail yet either!
    could be longer if it is one of the oddball Octalinks ;)

I really must see if we can get the ESP add-on package for the forum.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, it would be most useful, will probably turn out to be an external bearing crankset now anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    yep and in that case it does not matter one iota.
  • BazP
    It's an Isis.
  • nicklouse
    BazP wrote:
    It's an Isis.
    so what cranks?

and what chain line do you want?

read viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12737715