Bike for the Wife

tobamory
tobamory Posts: 101
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
We currently do a lot of Trail and XC riding, I myself have a Santa Cruz solo ( 5010) and she rides my old XC bike the Orange E8 pro, the E8 is very light 23Lbs, but as XC bikes go you always feel like your over the handlebars compared to the laid back feeling the Solo gives you, I had this same riding position on my Old Orange Five pro as with the Santa Cruz, she like that position.

So after Xmas im going to treat her to a new bike, Budget £2500.

So my obvious choice would have been the Julianna Range, but I actually don't like the look and anything decent is up at 4k, so I was going to look at something that us Men ride but smaller but was a bit stuck on models. I fancied something that id like to ride also :) but of a differing brand. So a few questions really

1. Do I really need to get her a ladies Bike, how much different are they, is it just a case of lower bars so they can easily get on and off ( personally I think us men have more to protect than them :) )
2. What models would you recommend

My first ideas were in the Men Bike Range

Nukeproof
lapierre
Titus El Guapo.
Yeti ( but I don't see many stockists of these so the Jury is out ) Views ?

I would like to get her onto a 650B model, I don't want a 29Er, but 26 will suffice. and it must be full sus.
thanks guys

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike for the Wife

Pictures so I can decide which one is worth the swap please!

1/ No, as long as the frame fits, it fits, then swap stuff like saddle and grips etc
    2/ What riding, what terrain, HT or FS (latter I presume) etc.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    As I have said many a time, buy the right colour.

My wife's bike is a mans frame, but with a WTB Deva saddle and the cut down handle bars.

Make sure everything is adjusted for her, inc suspension and gear and brake levers.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    My wife is selling a Giant Trance X1W (female specific geometry) if you're interested....
    I love it. Have set up the shocks a few times for my own weight and love it. So light and so much fun.
    She's only selling as she is enjoying the uplifts at the moment and wants more travel. Mint condition.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 364/49949/
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    image_zpsb8bcef07.jpg

I have an Intense Spider 2 which I love because it is not very common, and it rides really well. I haven't used it much and will probably sell it but a small bike like this with narrow bars, short stem and a ladies saddle suits me very well at 5'4".
    You don't have to go for a ladies frame as long as it is the right size. Choose a frame she likes - and yes, make sure it is the right colour :wink:
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both my daughters ride small 'mens frames' 13.5" for one, 14" for the other, remember that frame LENGTH is the more inportant and as a women normally has longer legs in proportion to height you need a smaller (shorter) frame. of course different frames from different manufacturers can vary wildly on length for the nominal size!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Talk her into surfing instead, this shits rad, get her one.

SurfIroningBoardCloseUp.jpg
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    LOL Nice Post.
    Ive just noticed the new Julianna Juno, which is tempting, Single Pivot same as my 5010 (solo)

thanks for the replies guys
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Kona Process?

http://www.konaworld.com/process_134.cfm

I rode one of these a few weeks ago and they are lovely - they ride very light - and also have a good stand over height so are more female-friendly than others. Nice bikes, I imagine they'll do well in the UK trail market :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc