Singlespeed Cyclocross

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
Can you please suggest what bikes and frames are available.
I am looking for a cx bike that I can run single speed.
I do not want to use a chain tensioner, discs not required.
Thanks

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Voodoo Wazoo would do the job; has sliding dropouts specifically so it can be set up fixed / single speed. I've got a ~54cm one with mounts for discs or cantis which might be up for sale if you're interested.

Failing that, eccentric bottom bracket?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Have a look at the All City Bike range...
    Thwere was a nice blog by a guy who raced SS in the USA CX circuit and kept a diary... anyone has the link at hand?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bozabyka
    Thanks for your replies.
    I like the idea of the pompino.
    Would I be able to fit drop bars to a Raleigh Pioneer?
    Whats the biggest tyre I could fit?
    Would the geometry work?
  • There are a couple of Pompino's being raced in my local races.
    It has potential, but I got my first taste of CX on my pompino converted, and it was a short lived experience!

I clogged up after a lap and a half.
    I didn't have the correct gear, and had V-Brakes as well as a chain too short to allow me to get the wheel as far back in the drop outs as possible. Both would have made a huge difference!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If only Specialized still sold the Tricross Single like what I ride on the commute.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm currently building a Cotic Roadrat as an SSCX as the frame was cheap, but the other one that caught my attention was the singular peregrine.

I think Spot also do a SSCX frame. The MOD SS has been discontinued but I'm sure thee is a replacement.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Bozabyka
    Like the Surly but well over my budget.
    I had decided on the Pompino, but its got 120mm spacing.
    I guess this is really going to limit what wheels I use.
    What wheels do you suggest?
    Its going to take some abuse.
  • asprilla
    My SSCX wheels are 32h Velocity A23s on Hope Pro 2 Trials hubs.

Rims are wides and a reasonable weight. Very stiff and they come in a NMSW version. Hubs should be properly weather sealed for the UK, easily self serviceable and the short fee wheel makes then as close to a dish-less track hub as I could find for discs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bozabyka
    Did you build those wheels?
    Can I buy 120mm wheels off the shelf capable of CX?
    Was the Pompino made with 135mm spacing in earlier versions?
  • asprilla
    I had the rims sitting about so i asked my LBS to build them up to my specification.

Your issue will be the rim width; track wheels are designed for 23mm tyres not 33mm tyres. Additionally, a bike with 120mm OLN probably won't have clearance for CX tyres between the stays.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Asprilla wrote:
    IYour issue will be the rim width; track wheels are designed for 23mm tyres not 33mm tyres. Additionally, a bike with 120mm OLN probably won't have clearance for CX tyres between the stays.

I don't understand why people bother posting if they've no first hand knowledge of the OP's question?

The issue is frame clearance, not drop-out or rim width and the Pompino will easily accept a tyre up to 35mm IME. Most clincher road rims will take a CX tyre - If you go for the A23 rims, you'll have no problem. A generic fixed/free track hub like Formula/Planet-X/Ambrosio/Miche/BLB will be fine for the Pompino - the bearings may need replacing more frequently, but they're cheap and it's only a 5 minute job.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • asprilla
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    IYour issue will be the rim width; track wheels are designed for 23mm tyres not 33mm tyres. Additionally, a bike with 120mm OLN probably won't have clearance for CX tyres between the stays.

I don't understand why people bother posting if they've no first hand knowledge of the OP's question?

Someone has to fill in just in case no-one with all the answers turns up.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bozabyka
    Planet X AL30 D Track Wheelset
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... k_wheelset

Are these any good for a Pompino with cx duties?
  • tgotb
    Don't know anything about those particular wheels, but be careful about track hubs in general. A lot of dedicated track hubs have very limited seals on the bearings; I have a set with no seals at all. This obviously isn't an issue on a track, but it's the last thing you need for cross. I'd guess that wheels targeted at "fixie" riders would be more likely to have decent seals, but still worth checking...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The P-X wheels are built 32 spoke, 3 cross so will be pretty durable, particularly with the 30mm rims. The hubs are made by Formula/Joytec and use standard industrial cartridge bearings with rubber seals and as long as you lay-off the jet wash should be OK. Bearings will probably need replacing every year or so, but it's a cheap and easy job - you can buy higher quality replacements too which will probably last a little longer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tgotb
    It's not so much whether the cartridge bearings have seals; for anything off road (or on road in the wet tbh) you really want the hub itself to provide a second layer of sealing. Road/MTB hubs do this; quite a lot of track hubs don't.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    It's not so much whether the cartridge bearings have seals; for anything off road (or on road in the wet tbh) you really want the hub itself to provide a second layer of sealing. Road/MTB hubs do this; quite a lot of track hubs don't.

Extra sealing is a double edged sword... if it's good then it keeps the water out, but if it's not good, then it doesn't allow the water which has penetrated to dry and cause the bearings to rust quicker.
    So Hope PRO 2 yes, other sealed hubs, no... some high end freehubs have no extra seals (see Campagnolo record), but the bearings last for many years
  • Bozabyka
    Are there any other wheelsets I should consider?
  • Bozabyka wrote:

I think this is a case for custom... you want SS hubs with 120 mm rear and wide rims for cyclocross... textbook custom build. THe bill can be as low as 200-220
  • tgotb
    Bozabyka wrote:

I think this is a case for custom... you want SS hubs with 120 mm rear and wide rims for cyclocross... textbook custom build. THe bill can be as low as 200-220
    Sounds like a business pitch :-)

You don't *need* wide rims for cyclocross; the sport's been around for over a century, and people have been happily racing around on standard road rims for almost the entire time. Sure, if you're going to build up a set of CX clincher wheels from scratch you should seriously consider wide rims, but the same argument could be made for road wheels (A23, HED etc). Plenty of people are still racing around on 19mm rims; wide rims are a nice-to-have, not a must-have, and if buying wheels with 19mm rims keeps you within budget, go for it!

Back to seals and bearings: Looking around the bikes in the basement at work, I can't see a single set which have exposed bearings (ie where you can see the bearing cartridge), and that includes lots of Campag ones. The only times I've ever seen exposed bearing cartridges are on track wheels. I checked mine last night; they have literally nothing to keep the bearings clean and dry other than the seal in the cartridge itself, and this will *not* be good enough to keep out the cr*p on a CX bike; I'm not even sure how happy I'd be using them at Herne Hill in the rain...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Sounds like a business pitch :-)

You don't *need* wide rims for cyclocross; the sport's been around for over a century, and people have been happily racing around on standard road rims for almost the entire time. Sure, if you're going to build up a set of CX clincher wheels from scratch you should seriously consider wide rims, but the same argument could be made for road wheels (A23, HED etc). Plenty of people are still racing around on 19mm rims; wide rims are a nice-to-have, not a must-have, and if buying wheels with 19mm rims keeps you within budget, go for it!

Back to seals and bearings: Looking around the bikes in the basement at work, I can't see a single set which have exposed bearings (ie where you can see the bearing cartridge), and that includes lots of Campag ones. The only times I've ever seen exposed bearing cartridges are on track wheels. I checked mine last night; they have literally nothing to keep the bearings clean and dry other than the seal in the cartridge itself, and this will *not* be good enough to keep out the cr*p on a CX bike; I'm not even sure how happy I'd be using them at Herne Hill in the rain...

Point is there aren't many sets at 120 mm rear (track) which will fit the bill... of course he can get something from Planet X, which I am sure sells some cheapos that will do... nothing is necessary, strictly speaking.

Re. the seals... most road hubs only have an alloy cap over the sealed bearing, which to be honest does not do a lot... the exposed sealed bearing can be pretty durable if the seal is good quality. Replacing those bearings is a 5 minutes job... and that size comes very cheap even for SKF or FAG quality... then of course it's horses for courses, I'd rather replace those bearings than fit a couple of tubeless tyres, as a saturday afternoon leisure activity... :wink:
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Bozabyka wrote:
    Planet X AL30 D Track Wheelset
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... k_wheelset

Are these any good for a Pompino with cx duties?

I've got some on my Spesh Singlecross and have been good. Lighter replacement for the original Alexrim wheels, and with a nice deep'ish profile.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...