Drilling Pedals

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,674
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to drill my plastic platform pedals to inject some grease. Recent outdoor activities have left them feeling a little unloved and they are getting a bit stiff.

Drill end cap - push grease all the way end to end? or middle of the pedal and push grease both ways?

What works best?

Ta.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dismantle them and lube the bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    cooldad wrote:
    Dismantle them and lube the bearings.

They are cheapy things. Don't think they can be dismantled without wrecking the end cap. They are plastic welded things. Not a great loss if they dont last.

Believe me, if they were decent ones I would strip them down properly.

• It's worth a try. If it doesn't work, look at On-One El Guapo Delgado Pro Pedal, £30
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No point drilling the end cap, you'll just lube the end nut, you need to drill the midle of the barrel part, did this on some Odessy plastic pedals my daughetr was given, they lasted over a year on her commuter with a regular syringe of grease (once every 2 months or so) despite being 'grainy' when we started!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • photonic69
    Looks like I'll be drilling and pumping this weekend.

Thanks for the input guys.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,887
    V8 pedals have a grease port in them - it's on the barrel but towards the outside edge if that makes sense. I guess they put it there for a reason so that's probably the place to go for.
    7dmr.jpg
  • photonic69
    monkimark wrote:
    V8 pedals have a grease port in them - it's on the barrel but towards the outside edge if that makes sense. I guess they put it there for a reason so that's probably the place to go for.

Excellent. Yes, I'll go towards the outer edge. Makes sense. Thanks.

• photonic69
    Well did it as above. Made a Massive improvement! Don't think there was any grease in there at all as the new grease came out almost clean.