29ers. Did you fall for clever marketing?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited October 2013 in MTB general
This is an interesting review

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-giant-talon-27-5-4-47695/

Especially this bit...

"The Talon 4 is an entry-level bike that’s full of surprises. Taking the Talon off-road, we were immediately surprised by its confident handling and playful ride nature. We’d previously ridden the Talon 29er and found it slow to accelerate and hard to throw around, but the 27.5 does away with these traits."

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't have a 29er, but, that's a criticism of one particular 29er not the whole breed. Frinstance I had a go on a Five 29er and it just rode like a really good bike. You can make a 26er or a 650b that feels slow to accelerate or clumsy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think it's hilarious that people look at he bike industry and think that it could in any way organise a massive global conspiracy to sell people something they did nt need

Ride whatever you like, then shut up about it cos actually everybody thinks their bike is the best in the world and you ll never convince them otherwise
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yawn. 5 pages of similar drivel here.
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12943209
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have a 29er a 26er and shhh a road bike i now "need" a 27er , n+1 nuff said
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I have a 29er a 26er and shhh a road bike i now "need" a 27er , n+1 nuff said
    so you are sizeist then.

What about the 24" and 20" bikes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Do you mind telling me what the point of your thread is?

Sensationalist headline, unrelated quote underneath that doesn't elucidate on the headline.

Do you write for the Daily Mail?
    Are you assuming that all 29er owners were somehow duped?
    Are you drunk?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    So because the Talon 29 wasn't as good as the Talon 27.5 does that mean all 29ers are poo?
    I believe that quite a lot of people prefer 29ers and a lot of races have been won on them.
  • Sounds to me like OP has fallen for the clever marketing of 27.5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    When are people going to stop talking about wheelsize and actually a mountain bike is just a mountain bike?! :shock:

Ride what works for you, test out a bunch of bikes that fit your criteria, pick the one you like the best and ride the bloody thing. Doesn't matter whether it's 26", 650b or 29", if it's a badly designed bike it's going to ride poorly regardless what wheelsize it has. If it's a well designed bike it's gonna ride well, simple as. Pick what works for you and let that be the end of the debate!
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    But which is best?

There's only one way to find out..........
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    29ers...will find out next week when the Unit arrives, Big wheels and one gear, what could possibly go wrong :lol:
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Seriously people - grow up. If you feel it's clever marketing, then don't buy a 29er.

I have only ridden 26" and 27.5", and I think they're both good in different ways. The 27.5" definitely feels bigger and slower to turn but rolls over stuff better. Buy one that you like and ride it - stop creating threads that just create big arguments between everyone.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ddraver wrote:
    everybody thinks their bike is the best in the world and you ll never convince them otherwise

I don't. I like it, but it's obviously not the best bike in the world.

Anyone noticed the 2014 Liteville 601? That's gonna make the wheel size conspiracy theorists heads explode, lol...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nicklouse wrote:

What about the 24" and 20" bikes?

smaller people
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm just glad people have final seen through the great 26" swindle after all these years.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    28.25" is actually fastest 8)
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    The fact is most of you are mediocre mountain bikers at best and 2 inches won't make any difference. Well apart from to your missus
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Mark909 wrote:
    The fact is most of you are mediocre mountain bikers at best and 2 inches won't make any difference. Well apart from to your missus

Haha :D
  • Mark909 wrote:
    Take that back. I'll have you know that I am a very, very sh*t mountain biker! :x
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Size is irrelevant red is fastest, everybody knows that
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • I thought I'd upgrade my £1000 hard tail as everyone is talking about full-suss these days. Didn't have much spare cash but found one for £300 at Halfords. Boy have you all been taken in by that hype - compared to my HT it was rubbish..... :roll:
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    I dont think I did, a ride of my mates talon 1 29er was enough to convince me I had to have one to replace my ageing 26" hardtail. I bought a scott scale 950 the next day.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)