giant defy frame sizing..

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi does anyone know if the Giant Defy 4 triple is the same sizing as the TCR compacts?

Looking at a 50cm frame (which i assume is medium) and at 5'9 seems the right one to get. My old TCR compact was M/L and a tad too big.

Cheers

Comments

• I'm 5'11" and have a M/L. I couldn't go any bigger, this is the biggest size that would fit. I don't know the TCR sizing though.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    5'8" on a medium Defy - spot on for me.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • chatlow
    TommyEss wrote:

just to clarify - is a medium Defy 50cm?
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I'm between 5ft10 and 5ft11 and the M/L is perfect for me.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    chatlow wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

I believe so - the Giant website seems to confirm it as well.

The thing with Giant frame sizing is that the 50cm relates to the hyper-short seat tube created by the compact geometry - the Medium/50cm has an effective top tube measurement of 545mm, which would probably be called a "54" in most other manufacturer's sizing.

Effective top tube is the key measurement to equate road bike sizing.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Medium.. or you'll be stretched out like Superman. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • chatlow
    TommyEss wrote:
    chatlow wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

I believe so - the Giant website seems to confirm it as well.

The thing with Giant frame sizing is that the 50cm relates to the hyper-short seat tube created by the compact geometry - the Medium/50cm has an effective top tube measurement of 545mm, which would probably be called a "54" in most other manufacturer's sizing.

Effective top tube is the key measurement to equate road bike sizing.

This confused me a bit because I wasn't sure if the TCR compact frame sizes were the same as the defy triple frames, but looks like they are.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    chatlow wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

I have 2 defy,s and they are both medium.50cm
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • If you are 5'9" then you are plum M - no question. I ride a M (TCR) and I'm 5'11". Top tube length the key as others have said
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Got to agree with the others at 5'9" you need a medium. Exactly as I have.
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    I'm almost 5'10" and I'm most comfortable on an M having tried both M and M/L - Giant dealerships seem to want to stick everyone on an M/L - not sure why but it definitely wasn't right for me and definitely isn't according to the Giant sizing charts.
  • As with most here, i am 5' 8" had a Medium Defy and currently have a Medium TCR Advanced. Apart from a more aggresive position there is nothing between the two.
  • 5' 9", another medium here.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Primus84 wrote:
    I'm almost 5'10" and I'm most comfortable on an M having tried both M and M/L - Giant dealerships seem to want to stick everyone on an M/L - not sure why but it definitely wasn't right for me and definitely isn't according to the Giant sizing charts.

Mirrors my experience. 5'9".5 and I was sold a M/L Defy. It never felt right and I ended up selling it. Now on a 50cm Ribble 872 and it's definitely the right size. A M Defy would have been fine.
  • One additional sizing question. I know I should just go ride one but I am considering a used defy 1 for my wife's first road bike and it's not local. Looks in good shape (2012) but she seems to be between sizes at 5' 5". The bike is a small which has a similar stack and reach to a Ruby she rode and liked. Any obvious concerns? She's pretty symmetrical with a 30" leg length measured from saddle to floor. Thx
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    Usually the advice is to go for the smaller frame if you're not sure.
  • I'm 5ft 6in and ride small defy.
  • Thx all