Bands you wished you'd been into...

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
...this is sort of a follow up to "Bands you thought were sh17"

Anyway, it's for those of us who only realise something was great after it had gone / become un-good.

For those who think the 80s were woeful, I give you four of my favourites:
- Echo and the Bunnymen: I only got into them in '88, when they'd gone pants (don't bother with anything after their eponymous 5th album, which is pretty average anyway)
- The Chameleons: do you like Interpol? Check out the original artist!
- The Comsat Angels: a mate of mine in the 90s raved about them. Now I understand why
- The Go-Betweens: seriously, should have been massive. Just wonderful.

Any other takers?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The Ruts. I wish I'd been there for Paul Fox's last gig before he died of cancer
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I just looked through my whole collection and can proudly say, no, none.
    There are acts that I missed completely, but none I dismissed and regretted.
    I had my blip with Queen but was into them/out of them/back into them so not sure if that counts.
    Wish Freddie had made it through the last tour as that is one of the few big stage tours that I regret missing, and I had tickets.

Random thoughts while looking through the collection - weirdest concert ever.....

Come back tour by Meatloaf with The Damned as warm up act in an out of town club, maybe 500 people there.

Next weird...

Bob Dylan comeback warm up at a school with the Black Crowes blatantly stoned as warm up.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    daviesee wrote:
    Bob Dylan comeback warm up at a school with the Black Crowes blatantly stoned as warm up.

The Black Crowes clear-headed and lucid would have been weird, them being totally Al-Capone'd is IIRC not unusual

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I was going to post 'The Rutles' as a lighthearted response, knowing they were a fictional group thought up by Eric Idle. Shocked to find out they became an actual group, who toured and had hits. (Well, 2 very minor ones) :oops:
  • Slightly OT but i kind of missed out on bands like The Jam/Clash in their respective pomps having been just a little to young. In that respect i suppose you could go back to the 60s for the Who/Stones etc...
  • Babe Ruth
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stone Roses. See other discussion.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pretty much ignored Nirvana at Reading just before teen spirit was released and they went global superstar. In all fairness, they didn't sound great and anyone who has listened to their first album will know they weren't actually a great band from the off.
    With hindsight, should have watched a bit more closely though.

Saw a Cure concert on TV after they'd disappeared off the scene and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
  • ballysmate
    A band I should be into, given my music tastes is Pink Floyd. But I just find them pretentious. I have given em every chance, but I just don't get it.shrug.gif
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ballysmate wrote:
    A band I should be into, given my music tastes is Pink Floyd. But I just find them pretentious. I have given em every chance, but I just don't get it.shrug.gif

I was thinking of a thread along those lines last night. Bands that you (or other people) think you should like (given your tastes) but you just can't get into.

I have a long list of them that I have genuinely tried to see what other are going about but can't.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    The Clash,The Smiths;when I think of some of the shit I was listening to then :roll:
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Deep Purple when Blackmore and Ian Gillan made up Mk 2 line up with Ian Pace, John Lord and Roger Glover, regarded by aficionados as the 'classic line up'.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Ballysmate wrote:

Bowie is a bit like that for me..hot and cold (more cold)
  • ballysmate
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Deep Purple when Blackmore and Ian Gillan made up Mk 2 line up with Ian Pace, John Lord and Roger Glover, regarded by aficionados as the 'classic line up'.

Saw this line up in '89 (?) and '93 at NEC. Would have loved to have seen 'em in early '70s. Apparently the Made in Japan album was virtually laid straight down with very little engineering. Class act all round, particularly Blackmore and Jon Lord (RIP). Gillan's voice has gone now, but it must be remembered that they are old men now.
    Free is another band I had been able to see. Can't believe the age of these lads when they were doing their stuff.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was into the Canterbury scene .. Caravan, soft machine, Kevin ayers etc. went out with his sister for a while. She was slightly less barking than he was but not much.

Gutted to find out that caravan were down here at tavi earlier in the year
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Gutted to find out that caravan were down here at tavi earlier in the year

That's understandable Mikey, I'd be the same if they played near me, but it is a free country.