Trek Madone 2.1: Mystery mudguard fixing

jamesmurphy
jamesmurphy Posts: 11
edited November 2013 in Workshop

Just looking for a little help in identifying the reason for the existence of this ere fixing on the down tube?????

I presume it could be for full guards but cannot find any ref on Trek or Bontranger's site.

Any help ;/

Comments

• anyone?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'd say it is. Look at the dropouts and you'll see threaded holes, also for mudguards.

19923?wid=492&hei=360&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=80,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Yep I see em.....cheers redvee

Most of the mudguards I have looked at (SKS) seem to want to attach right at the bottom of the down tube tho...I will check the bontranger ones
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'd say it probably is for mudguards yes - but there also appears to be a more common bolt on the back of the bottom bracket as well?

Ask your dealer next time you're in.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    I'd say it probably is for mudguards yes - but there also appears to be a more common bolt on the back of the bottom bracket as well?

You would think so wouldn't you....but it is not there.Its just a cable stay at the back of the BB......curious stuff :)
  • It's right at the apex of the wheel going towards the frame, perhaps to stop the wheel rubbing the frame in bigger tyres?

PS I used to have this bike but can't say I noticed that.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    marcusjb wrote:

You would think so wouldn't you....but it is not there.Its just a cable stay at the back of the BB......curious stuff :)

Well if there isn't one on the back of the BB, then it must be for guards.

A friend has these on one of his Madones:

http://bontrager.com/model/04684

I'd have to look how they were attached and where the bolts are.

Again - check with your dealer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Just looking for a little help in identifying the reason for the existence of this ere fixing on the down tube?????"

You'd be in trouble bolting full length mudguards to your downtube; I think that's the seat tube you have there :D
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've got Bontrager mudguards and they have a hole that would go there - although mine is bolted to the chainstay bridge a bit further down - not on my Trek but my winter Genesis.

Really good mudguards too. Nice and stable with good coverage.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    With the aid of a 5mm drill, any mudguards should fit a Madone. You just need to drill a hole where the bolt is on the back of the seat tube.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • keef66 wrote:
    "Just looking for a little help in identifying the reason for the existence of this ere fixing on the down tube?????"

You'd be in trouble bolting full length mudguards to your downtube; I think that's the seat tube you have there :D

Yart Yart :D
  • Cheers chaps....bontranger approved guards fit nicely ;)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Being a Trek brand they should do.