turbo trainer advice/help - clueless!

dazed01
dazed01 Posts: 30
edited October 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Looking to buy a turbo trainer that I can use over the next few months, but would ideally like to be able to monitor power output.

However I'm on a limited budget so I can't really find anything sub £200 that comes with an inbuilt power meter.

I have read about the possibility of buying a lower end trainer and then attaching a cadence sensor and an ANT+ device ?? But honestly, that goes over my head. Can anyone, in laymans terms, give me some advice on what I would need to set something like this up?

Also, if anyone can recommend a sub £200 trainer that would also be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• I know nothing about power meters but my Tacx Antares rollers are great.

Having the bike mobile on them is interesting - not as hard as it looks and gives you something to think about. The rollers also drive the front wheel so the normal computer runs without needing to fettle between road and roller rides. Only thing to bear in mind is tyre wear, but that's an issue for all trainers. Tacx do specific trainer tyres but I haven't bothered with these so far.

I paid £130 for mine but prices vary online.
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • dazed01 wrote:
    I have read about the possibility of buying a lower end trainer and then attaching a cadence sensor and an ANT+ device ?? But honestly, that goes over my head. Can anyone, in laymans terms, give me some advice on what I would need to set something like this up?
    This the thread you need to read and ask for advice;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12869366