Rockrider 8.1
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

Which is better for money?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RR is better specced were it counts (forks), the Canyon will always be hampered on spec as 29ers are inherently dearer to build. That said the drivetrain is good.

Which is better depends on the planned usage!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mainly easy trails (Blue, maybe red), but once I'm more competent I will use the bike for more technical runs.
  • Also, the fork on the canyon seems to be considerably more expensive, so would assume it is a lot better?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    The RR is better specced were it counts (forks), the Canyon will always be hampered on spec as 29ers are inherently dearer to build. That said the drivetrain is good.

Which is better depends on the planned usage!

Good advice , also depends on your own personal preference. My XC mountain bike was a 29er purely because I really liked the way it felt on a test ride, nothing to do with having predecided wheel size etc. Give them a test ride to see what you think, spec is important but no point having a good spec bike you don't like riding ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    More expensive doesn't always mean better, but the Canyon is quite a bit more expensive anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both well specced. The xc30 is lighter but not as stiff as the recon. Same damper.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited October 2013
    The Canyon (well, it's 2013 equivalent model) does well in the group test of £600ish hardtails in MBUK this month (I browsed it in Asda this afternoon).
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Hardtail 26" are almost extinct except at the lowest price point. Canyon and others have stopped making them.
    Buy a 29er.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    adamfo wrote:
    Hardtail 26" are almost extinct except at the lowest price point. Canyon and others have stopped making them.
    Buy a 29er.
    An adman's wet dream customer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    adamfo wrote:
    Buy a 29er.

Nothing to do with what is the best bike though.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    adamfo wrote:
    Buy a 29er.

By all means buy a 29er. But, please, only do it because it feels right for you not because someone tells you they're better or 26" bikes are old hat.
    Try to ride them (realise that may be difficult with these particular bikes) then get the one that feels right for you.

I've only ridden one 29er and I wasn't keen, maybe because I'm only 5'8" and I don't think the big wheels suit small bikes. I should point out that I've ridden (well regarded) 26" bikes which I didn't much like either.

When you get on the right bike, you'll just 'know'
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The XS framed Canyon AL29 does come with smaller 27.5" wheels.

Another cheaper bike to consider (amongst many) @ £642 + £26 shipping (logged-in basket price)
    Better Reba RL forks, Shimano running gear, Easton finishing kit.

ltd-cc-29-black-n-white.jpg

The only downside seems to be a non-tapered headtube and it's in Deutschland the home of cheaper bikes.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/ ... tails.html
  • Croptonboy wrote:

I like the look of this bike, but I think I will take some advice and just test some out to see what feels best. Thank you for your help!
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    cooldad wrote:
    adamfo wrote:
    Buy a 29er.
    An adman's wet dream customer.

This is an interesting review i read recently. Stage 2 of the wheel size rip off. I can't wait to see everyone getting 27.5 now.

"The Talon 4 is an entry-level bike that’s full of surprises. Taking the Talon off-road, we were immediately surprised by its confident handling and playful ride nature. We’d previously ridden the Talon 29er and found it slow to accelerate and hard to throw around, but the 27.5 does away with these traits."