Commuting (90%) and trips (10%) bike advice

alkamid
alkamid Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
Hi!

I am looking for a bike for my wife. It will be used for commuting (~1h both ways, hard surfaces only, very occasionally cobbles), and occasionally for weekend trips of 50-100km. The priority is not speed, but comfort -- she suffers from degenerative disc disease and it is crucial for her to have:
a) good vibration damping
b) comfortable spine position

As real double suspension bikes are well above our budget (I was told the decent ones start from about £800), I decided I will deal with vibrations with low pressure tyres and a seatpost like this one.

As for the position, I think these elements are important: 1) the saddle reasonably low with respect to the handlebar 2) handlebar bent towards the cyclist, as in Dutch style bikes -- but not too much 3) adjustable handlebar stem to optimise its position.

I found something that would probably suit my wife's needs, only it is not available in the UK: Lazaro Senatore. Sorry for google-translated link, but the specs table is there. My budget is around £300, but I can pay a bit more if it is worth it. Or, if in the UK prices are much higher, then I will just wait and try to import it.

I would be really grateful for advice!

Comments

• I don't know anything about degenerative disc disease, but I'd imagine it'd be a good idea for your wife have a test ride before she buys to check it's suitable?

If you have a Decathlon near you they do a good range of Hybrid/City bikes that might be worth a look - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376962-hyb ... ring-bikes

The Original 7 is a dual suspension one for £250, none of the others appear to have cushioned seatposts but I'm sure they could add one for you or obviously you could get one separately.

Hope this is of some help.
  • The disease simply means it is very important to keep your back relatively straight and avoid any (especially asymmetric) excess pressure on it - which is why road bikes are out of the question.

I haven't seen a bike that comes with a seatpost like this, so I don't really look for one, I will buy the seatpost separately. Thanks for the Decathlon link -- I live in Cambridge, far away from the nearest Decathlon, but I'll consider ordering from them.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Something like this?

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... Crossroads

You can also make the bike much more comfortable by running the tyres towards the lower end of the recommended PSI
  • Thanks Jeepie, but it does not have bent handlebars - if I need to pay more than £300, I'd rather it was something I wouldn't need to change/buy more parts.
  • alkamid wrote:
    ...if I need to pay more than £300, I'd rather it was something I wouldn't need to change/buy more parts.

Hi alkamid,

Unless it is a custom build, bike manufacturers can only make a bike to fit to the 'average' sized person, for each of the frame sizes they make. Consequently, it's a relatively common occurrence to make small changes to a bike to make it fit a person better. Things like saddle and stem are commonplace, and bars as well. It's a relatively minor, and easy, change - provided all of the same levers etc can be used.

So I'd be thinking the other way - if you're spending more money, it's better to spend a little bit more to make it fit perfectly.
  • So I'd be thinking the other way - if you're spending more money, it's better to spend a little bit more to make it fit perfectly.
    Actually, this is exactly what I meant: my budget is £300, but I am willing to spend a bit more to make it fit perfectly. So I am reluctant to pay £350 for the Specialized one linked above, because I will need to spend more on adjustments.

Besides, this is a 2014 model, so it will be naturally overpriced. I would really like to buy a 2013 bike which has similar specs to this one. Unfortunately, the same model from 2013 has only 7 gears, which is a major disadvantage.
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Can your wife go by a couple of bike shops in Cambridge, to see what she feels comfortable riding? Look at new bikes, and you might also find that a second hand bike shop is good for finding the type of quite upright bike you're talking about. It's really hard to judge riding position, comfort etc. by just looking at a picture of a bike and seeing the specs. Even if you end up buying online, this will give you more of an idea of what's available.

I don't know if your wife has considered a recumbent bike - people with back problems sometimes find these useful, though I don't think you'll get one in budget unless you can find something 2nd hand.