iPhone 5 mount

Primus84
Primus84 Posts: 109
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I've been umming and ahhhing over what to do with regards to a bike computer, at the moment I use Strava on my iPhone 5 and put it in my saddle bag. The upside of this is it's very unlikely to get damaged if I have an "off", the downside is I can't see the screen.

So I'm thinking about getting a mount/case to put phone on the bars/stem - has anyone got one for their iPhone 5 that they could recommend?

I'm looking for something that completely encases the phone and screen so that even if I had an "off" it wouldn't get damaged and that is also waterproof.

Advice willingly accepted from those who have tried it and found the iPhone 5 too big to use in this way as well!

Comments

• foiled
    foiled Posts: 17
    I'm happy with the one I bought from quadlockcase.com

Use discount code october20off for 20% off
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    I bought a Quadlock ... Works very well if not a little expensive.

http://www.quadlockcase.com
  • Primus84
    How did you find the size of the iPhone 5?

Did you put it on the stem?
  • I did indeed put it on the stem, no problems size wise. The only downside using an iPhone is battery life. If you leave the screen on permanently you'll be lucky to get 90 minutes out of it. However, if you use an app that doesn't require the screen on (eg, heart rate monitor) then it was still going strong after three hours even when paired via Bluetooth to the HRM.
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    another vote for quadlock, it's excellent
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've used a Topeak Ridecase with my iPhone 4 for 18 months before buying the iPhone 5 version a month ago. Advantage over the Quadlock is that the stem cap mount adjusts for vertical angle, so can be flat for navigation or vertical for videoing. Also allows portrait/landscape rotation, and has similar rubberised cover to protect from the rain, yet allow touch functionality.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Wahoo protkt for iphone 5. No rubber poncho cover to either fit or carry, it's water 'proof' although the say resistant (used it in an apocalyptic storm in Holland, side ways rain and hail, and phone was fine and dry!)
  • Leave your lovely phone where it is. Get a cheap cycle computer for must have data, or lash out for a Garmin.
  • Leave your lovely phone where it is. Get a cheap cycle computer for must have data, or lash out for a Garmin.

I tend to agree, as a relative noob I'm finding that I'm increasing my milage and the iPhone battery can't cope. I want to be planning longer rides and it just isn't up to it. I think I can hear a Garmin calling ...
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I use the topeak iPhone 5 ride case, looks good, does a great job.

For anything over 4 hours I also bought the power pack (worth noting I always use it with a bluetooth HRM) which works brilliantly and can also charge my front light if it needs to.

Had a couple of offs with it and no damage to the phone but even if I did the phone is insured so wouldn't be a massive issue (how many people insure their garmins I wonder?)

IMG_6284.jpg
  • Primus84
    Yeah, that's a pretty good example of why I've gone for a Garmin Edge 200 - the iPhone 5 is far too big to be mounting on the stem or the bars.

But thanks to everyone for their comments, I'm not knocking anyone's solution!
  • Just bought a Gamin Edge Touring Plus AND an external power pack. Went out for a ride at the weekend and my phone and both lights ran out of power 12 miles from home at dusk down the back lanes. Never again :(