Cleaning/Maintenance bits?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have a £40 voucher for Wiggle (from last xmas lol :lol: ) and looking what to spend it on. It was given to me and the other half so I was thinking of getting some cleaning/maintenance bits and pieces as we will both get use of them, well sort of as she don't clean the bikes :wink:

Anyway, was thinking of some cleaning products/degreaser and anything else that might be handy - so, what do you all use to clean/look after your bikes..... things like Muc-off etc any good or do you just stick to normal soapy water??

Help me spend the £40 :D

Comments

• I only use a citrus degreaser on chain and cassette. Otherwise plain water. Personally can't see point in anything else that may well end up stripping out grease from where you want it.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    The MucOff chain cleaner device is good. I like that

The rest is a waste of money really
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Janitol on the drivetrain, car shampoo for the rest,
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or use a non gunky lube, and forget about degreasing anything. Degreasing should be the last thing you do anyway - you want grease in not out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    I do use a non gunky lube (Squirt).
  • cooldad
    So do I but people started asking if I was on commission. Magic stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    I saw Ed Oxley's review of it on Great Rock site and bought a bottle after that (had been using Muc Off dry lube prior to that). I'll be needing a new bottle soon. Have you used it in muddy wintery conditions? If so, does it hold up ok?
  • cooldad
    Been using it for years. It holds up fine - just needs applying a bit more often. I do it maybe once a month or so in dry weather, every three or four rides in really nasty weather. If I remember.
    It lasts just fine - inside the rollers where it's needed. Outside stays nice and clean.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    It holds up fine - just needs applying a bit more often.

Cheers, that's what I was thinking. I apply it after each wash (or between rides in summer when the trails were dry and the bike didn't need a full wash after every ride).
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Just ordering some now boys thanks for the tip! Been messing around with muck off drylube for ages now.
  • cooldad
    Just follow the instruction properly the first time - proper degrease, dry chain, apply, let dry a bit, apply some more then leave overnight.
    After that just wipe and reapply. Always best to do the night before.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Will do thanks cooldad.
  • stiscooby
    Ok, thanks for the tips :wink:

Maybe i will have to find something more worth while to spend the vouchers on then and just get some lube for the chain etc.

I will have a look to see if wiggle do this squirt stuff?
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, or you can order it direct. I bought mine from a LBS.
  • cooldad
    Wiggle are a bit cheaper than In to dust, the distributors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Except I think they do free delivery so you need to order something else as well from Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stiscooby
    Ok, thanks.

Trying to spend up the voucher on wiggle so hopefully get a few others things too.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this squirt. I quite like it, it's pretty good. But mine comes off very quickly in the wet, even if that is just hosing down the bike a bit (in that I'll end up with tiny rust marks on the chain if I don't re-apply).

I spent some time degreasing before first application. Is above normal or am I not getting full performance out of the product? If the latter, I guess it's possible some old lube was still on my drive train but it was sparkling clean before first application.

It is very gloopy where I ride and was considering moving back to a wet lube if I'm honest.
  • cooldad
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this squirt. I quite like it, it's pretty good. But mine comes off very quickly in the wet, even if that is just hosing down the bike a bit (in that I'll end up with tiny rust marks on the chain if I don't re-apply).

I spent some time degreasing before first application. Is above normal or am I not getting full performance out of the product? If the latter, I guess it's possible some old lube was still on my drive train but it was sparkling clean before first application.

It is very gloopy where I ride and was considering moving back to a wet lube if I'm honest.

You don’t need lube on the outside of the chain, you need it on the inside.
    Chains do rust if you leave them wet, and if you are going to add enough oil of some sort to keep water off it you are going to have a seriously gunky chain. Tiny rust marks make no difference - they just rub off when you ride.
    I find wet lube nasty, sticky stuff that just glues lots of gunk to the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools