LED lamp - o-ring mount

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Many of the LED lamps have o-ring mounting - anyone using these and does the lamp stay put?

My LED lamps use a quick release clamp and unless done up quite tight will droop so my gut feel is an rubber o-ring is going to be even worse.

This is the type of o-ring mount I mean.

3706F1_zps5a6681f8.jpg

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It works on my headlight but you need to get the right size O ring and it needs to be a struggle to get it over the hook.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rsh1960
    rsh1960 Posts: 17
    Have you thought about putting a piece of inner tube held on the bars with double sided tape to give the light something to grip on to?.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It depends how they are weighted. My Lezyne would slip round, that in the pic loosk pretty centrally mounted with no battery weight so would be ok.
  • My lights were originally O-Ring mounted, but they tended to move about and vibrate a lot. I read somewhere (maybe on here) about modifying it to fit this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod23533
    You have to remove the 'saddle' part from under your light and then fix the Hope mount with a 5mm screw, I think I may have used a slightly longer one than provided, you may also need to find a way of securing the cable as mine exitied the light throught the back of the original saddle.
    Now my light is solid as a rock, it makes night riding much better.
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
    Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
    Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    .... well I succumb to ebay and bought a 3 LED lamp (they are available in 4 and 6 LED but I can't imagine the battery lasts long) - not the one pictured - will update after I have used it.

I do have some clamps from when I made my own LED lamps that probably can be modified to fit.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod23533 works brilliantly, you just need a slightly longer screw! I use one myself.