Call me a dreamer if you like? Recycling content

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Today we've had
1) a post bemoaning our modern-day throwaway culture.

2) Another from a fellah with an old but quite decent Trek he wants to sell who has been told it's worthless

3) Everyday there are posts asking which is the best bike to start on

4) Many of us sell off old bits and pieces on Fleabay who take their cut

5)There's lots of technical experience available here

Is it not feasible and worthwhile for us to be able to unite some of the parts/wishes and wants for the benefit of all parties?

For example, the parts on that Trek bike deserve a new home. Someone here must have upgraded an old bike with a new frame and have the old frame hanging around. Likewise with forks

Someone looking for an entry bike could benefit from that and end up with a cracking bike for a song. And it may get some sellers a better price or just save some items from going to the tip

As an example, there's a 20" Kraken frame in my shed. No use to me - much too big. Been there 5 years. Will end up ditched at the dump sometime. If you want it, well you can have it. Gratis. Just come and get it.

Comments

• I agree , I suppose the site does have a buy and sell section as well as the wanted section .
    However individuals seem to have very broad differences of opinion on an items value.

I have purchased a few items from here and have found prices very fair. Yet I have also been surprised to see second hand goods advertised for more than I could get them for new.

Then you get posts requesting 'full suspension bikes wanted max budget £ 1.00 '. Perhaps those of us who are able to perceive the value of our unwanted items to others and , like you , would rather see them go to a good home are becoming the minority. I hope not .

Anyway enough from me unless anyone wants to buy a set of contaminated disc brake pads and warped rotors in excellent condition.

Recently sent someone a brake pad spring as they had lost one .cost me a stamp and kept them riding .
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Got a box full of Campagnolo stuff I have picked up cheap over the years. Useless to me but wait a few years and someone will pay me lots of beer vouchers to own a nice 2001 Super Record front hub or a Chorus band on front mech.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rsh1960
    rsh1960 Posts: 17
    Very good idea

Couldn't it be called "in my shed" MTB bits and pieces no longer used or needed given a good home by someone who needs them. Arrange collection or person wanting the parts pays postage.

Better that than the other half throwing it out in an annual tidy up of the shed or under the stairs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    BigAl wrote:
    As an example, there's a 20" Kraken frame in my shed. No use to me - much too big. Been there 5 years. Will end up ditched at the dump sometime. If you want it, well you can have it. Gratis. Just come and get it.

I'd have that off you if I was closer.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I always give stuff away to the local chap who pulls together old beaters. It's not worth me selling some stuff now as the postage charges are mental. I would rather it all be put to use by someone needing a bike as a mode of transport than litter my workshop
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I worked (up until 3 weeks ago) for a big recycling company, at a few sites they took in battered bikes, sent them to a prison where they were refurbished then sold on and the cash used for good causes. Quite a nice arrangement.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    There was a piece on Look North (our regional BBC news programme around here) a while back about an old guy that takes in discarded old bikes , fixes them up (at his own expense) and then gives them to underpriveliged local kids. Great bloke. he's done hundreds, and spent a shedload of his own money doing it (and he's just a normal pensioner, not a rich man).
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    You can sell on pinkbike for free.