Our throw away society

shindig
shindig Posts: 173
edited October 2013 in MTB general
We live in a throw away society and that really irks me. Latest example : I've damaged the cable on my Cateye vela 7. I managed to trap the cable in-between the stem and handlebars when fitting a new stem last year. Cable broke today. It's cheaper to buy a new complete computer @ £13.95 than a heavy duty fitting fitting kit @£13.99. No incentive to re-use anything nowadays.

I remember when I used to be abel to repair TV's at component level and a TV could last 10 years or more. Now-a-days if your TV goes faulty you have to buy a new one.

We have much better products and pricing now, but at what cost ...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I remember when a tool broke, you just went out, found another rock and chipped it to shape.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shindig
    lol. I would still rather be out riding than chipping away at new tools though...
  • My Nexus 7 tablet is knackered and out of warranty. The parts I need to fix it (new USB socket/jack out board plus new battery) come to half the cost of the tablet. Which makes it uneconomical, given the chance that my home repairs might not succeed, and I may do further damage breaking into the thing, when it's not designed to be opened.

Throwaway society indeed.
  • shindig
    Meanwhile back in Gotham City... I am still running 9 speed from 2002 and 10 year old hope Mono M4's. Both are on my newly built Santa Cruz along with my 2012 Fox Float RLC 140's. I wonder if the fox's will last 10 years .
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    shindig wrote:
    I managed to trap the cable in-between the stem and handlebars when fitting a new stem last year. Cable broke today. It's cheaper to buy a new complete computer @ £13.95 than a heavy duty fitting fitting kit @£13.99.

Can't you just cut it, solder in a new piece of wire and shrink wrap the joint?
  • shindig
    Tried that and the wired don't solder for some strange reason.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    shindig wrote:
    Tried that and the wired don't solder for some strange reason.

You didn't do it right?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    shindig wrote:
    I wonder if the fox's will last 10 years .

no they will be fucked in 6 months lol :twisted:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a small dent in a fork stantion, forks work ok but need frequent servicing - new fork stantion costs more than the fork.

I drive a 300 quid car that pretty much everyone I know thinks should be consigned to the scrap heap and sadly due to the cost to keep it running it will be next tuesday.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I had to change a tyre on a ride last week, my mate was astounded to see a patch on the spare tube before I put it on. He's never repaired a tyre - he just swaps tubes and bins the old one.

As a skinflint northerner, I repair everything I can (bike, clothes, house) rather than buying new. I always keep old broken stuff in case the parts can be used later to canabalise another broken thing. It does mean I have a drawer full of rusty old crap sitting in the shed but it's well on its way to becoming a new bike to take a baby seat.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I repaired all four thorn holes in my front tube from last weeks ride!

Modern miniaturisation makes small repairs either impossible or much harder.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.