Which one would you choose (for me)

soultempest
soultempest Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

I am new to this. The last bicycle I was on, was in high school.
I have friends that are into mountain biking, and I am considering joining up.
It will be mostly recreational and off-road. I do not wish to do this professionally, although I am sure I will end up doing some events and trail runs just for the experience.
So I am basically looking for a beginner / entry level bike, but I also don't want something that is going to break when taking a bit of hammering. Something that will last for a while. I won't have the cash to upgrade or buy another one anytime soon.
I went looking today, and the salesman recommended one of two bikes.

The one is the Avalanche GT 3.0, reviewed here on Bikeradar: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-gt-avalanche-3-0-disc-hydro-10-36097/

The second one is the Silverback Slade 4 (650b). Info sheet here: http://www.silverbacklab.com/upload/2011_website_SILVERBACK/slade4_14.htm

They are roughly the same price - $570.

This was just the first shop that I went to, so I have some more time for research.
I just want to know if I am on the right track.

Given the specs on the two bikes in question, and my requirements, I would love to hear what you would have chosen if you were me.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Well, I like GTs & the review was good. Never heard of the other one, so GT.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Have a read of the link below as it's quite a regular topic. What is your top budget and what sort of 'off road' will you be doing?

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Myster101
    Forgot to say, when I got back into mountains biking I had a GT Avalanche Disc 1.0 which was great. So can recommend them.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Hi,

And thank you for the replies and input.
    Budget is around £400.
    The thing is - I am not too sure what sort of off-roading I will be doing, but probably not too serious or too heavy.
    Typical trail runs with groups, so I must assume they don't all have extreme bikes.

Thanks for the link. I had a look. I suppose that leaves me with the Voodoo Bantu or the Rockrider 5.3.
    I did a search though - and they do not seem to be available in the country where I am from.
    I will inquire with a dealer or two tomorrow.

Just a quick question - on another forum, someone said if you are going for the GT, get the GT 2.0 and not the 3.0.
    Why would that be? Does a higher number not indicate newer / better ?
  • Myster101
    Different bike manufactures use numbers in different ways, but for the GT Avalanche the lower the number the better the spec.

Like I said, I had the Avalanche 1.0 and it was a great bike, but best if you can take them out for a demo and see which feels the best for you.

Good luck :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Where are you from ? I guess not the UK , it would help to know so we don't direct you to bikes only available here .
  • I am in South Africa. We get most brands here, I think.
    I went to another dealer today, and they suggested the GT Karakoram Comp:
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/2014/bikes/mo ... koram-comp

A little more expensive, £470.

I suppose that is how the story goes. More money for a better bike.

So far it is between the Avalanche (£380) and the Karakoram (£470).

Now I only have to find a reason to justify the extra £90.