Shimano 11 speed freehub / cassette body replacement

kikonameko
kikonameko Posts: 65
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi everyone, im using a Shimano RS81 11 spd wheel and the rear free hub body is making this obnoxious sound. I read around that these cassette bodies can be replaced. Any suggestion on what to replace it with? I cant seem to find an official shimano replacement for this. I found some eastons and DT swiss but im not sure if they will fit. Im ok to fit it with Dura Ace bodies as well if its needed... as long as its cheaper than my rear wheel im ok with it.

thanks
francis

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Which one do you want? http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-free ... s-dept608/. If yours isn't there it shouldn't be hard to find elsewhere.

I had the same problem with my Campagnolo Khamsin wheels. The freehub for those is about £50 - I just replaced the bearings instead for £6......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Given that these wheels haven't been around for long I'd be asking about warranty replacement of the cassette body, assuming it is actually defective. If you just want something that is quieter (or noisier) most likely that means switching to something completely different, i.e., another wheel.

Please note that is extremely unlikely that anything except a Shimano freehub body will fit; Easton and DT Swiss definitely will not.

Given your location, whatever you do is unfortunately likely to cost money in freight. :-(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    satanas wrote:
    If you just want something that is quieter (or noisier) most likely that means switching to something completely different, i.e., another wheel.

Not necessarily - the only reason lower end Campag wheels make a noise when freewheeling is lack of grease on the ratchet. The tiniest sliver of grease, applied and wiped off, is enough to quieten them. I'd guess this applies to any type of freehub.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • satanas
    ^ I was commenting more about the desire amongst some in MTB circles to have the noisiest freewheel mechanism possible. I think this is because both Chris King and DT Swiss hubs are very noisy, and thus noisy = better, and perhpas implies more money has been spent. Shimano freehubs OTOH are usually near silent, IMO a good thing.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Which one do you want? http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-free ... s-dept608/. If yours isn't there it shouldn't be hard to find elsewhere.

I had the same problem with my Campagnolo Khamsin wheels. The freehub for those is about £50 - I just replaced the bearings instead for £6......

wow this is a great site.. unfortunately it doesnt have what i need.. i did a bit of research and found out that the RS81 used the FH 6800 freehub body.. the site only has the 6700
  • satanas
    Assuming Shimano have actually produced spares of the 6800 freehub body (my non-UK dealer page shows no stock as yet), then any dealer should be able to order one for you. However, I'd be negotiating about warranty with whomever you bought the wheel from as IME Shimano are very good about replacing anything defective. Given this can only be a very few months old there should be no argument once they can inspect it; the problem will be what to ride in the meantime.

If you sourced the wheel from somewhere distant, I'd ask them if they will accept the result of a local inspection, rather than having to post back the freehub body to the vendor.