29er MTB - Best XC Tyres?

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I currently ride a 2013 Trek Mamba 29er, and in recent weeks I've begin to notice the tread is wearing down on my rear tyre. I'm looking to purchase some new rubber, but I'm not sure what would suit me best?

I mainly ride XC across Dartmoor, but also on Tarmac surfaces a lot of the time. The stock tyres were Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.2, and have served me well, although I've noticed it has several 'nicks' in it where it has torn from thorns or stones. I've also suffered several punctures from tiny shards of glass or thorns that have managed to penetrate the rubber.

Could anyone please recommended a suitable new rear tyre, or even the best front/rear combination? This is the first time I've had to buy new rubber so I'm really not sure what I'm looking for!

Many thanks :)
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Got Rocket Ron's on my 29er, reasonable XC, great on tarmac.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am using an On One Smorgasbord on the front cracking tyre for £19,99

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM29X225/on_one_smorgasbord_29x225_tyre
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Continental Xking ftw
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Very personal. Racing Ralphs or Rocket Rons for my money. In their Evo guise they're pretty soft though, far more so than the Bontragers.
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm slightly more drawn to the Conti X King's, purely because they're about half the price of the Rocket Ron's!

Is there any reason you can see the Rocket Ron's being significantly better than the X King's?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless the Contis are black chilli compound chances are they're worse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As cooldad says . Tyres can have the same tread design but different rubber compounds. Tyres fitted as originals are often cheep compounds I found that with continental mountain cking that were dreadful . Only my own experience but I went for bontrager xr4 and they serve me well .

It would be worth your while asking locally what others use due to varying terrain we all ride.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    stubs wrote:

Another vote for these! The kevlar bead Enduro model is the one I've tried.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    njee20 wrote:
    Very personal. Racing Ralphs or Rocket Rons for my money. In their Evo guise they're pretty soft though, far more so than the Bontragers.

+1 Ron on the front, ralph on the back
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Giraffoto wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Another vote for these! The kevlar bead Enduro model is the one I've tried.

Thats the one I have great tyres but be prepared to do some pumping if you want to go tubeless. Finally got it last night just as I was about to puke and collapse. Good cardio though I think I did the equivalent of a 25 mile road ride :cry:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Specialized Ground Control 2.3 and a Purgatory 2.3 on the front, works really well on my 29er ht

Easy to go tubeless with and i ve found them to be great on Dartmoor and the tarmac bits as well.
  • Got a ground control 2.1 on the back and a purgatory 2.2 on the front - replaced Conti X Kings. Much more bite. £20 each new off ebay.
  • Wow... so many options it's impossible to choose!

I basically need a tyre combination that is fast rolling for tarmac, but still has plenty of grip when it comes to trails and open moorland/rocks. I've been getting on well with the stock Bontragers, although I don't have anything to compare them against. Grip hasn't really been the best, although I've only noticed that recently, likely because they're wearing down a bit now. I just don't want to get something that's going to slow me down!
  • mamba80 wrote:
    Specialized Ground Control 2.3 and a Purgatory 2.3 on the front, works really well on my 29er ht

Easy to go tubeless with and i ve found them to be great on Dartmoor and the tarmac bits as well.
    briefcasew wrote:
    Got a ground control 2.1 on the back and a purgatory 2.2 on the front - replaced Conti X Kings. Much more bite. £20 each new off ebay.

The fact you've both said the exact same combination makes this tempting, especially as you (Mamba80) have already tried and tested them on dartmoor! I don't suppose the Mamba in your name means you ride a Trek Mamba? :roll:

Is this combination still fast rolling?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No its the model of a ww kayak.

i got an easy top 10 in the hell of the west, so plenty fast rolling, great on Dartmoor and the man made trails, such as Cardinham.
    I did have SWorx 2.1 ground controls (after Conti x and race kings - which are very good as well) on the bike and they were terrible (for me), the new 2.3s are totally different though.
  • mamba80 wrote:

briefcasew wrote:
    Got a ground control 2.1 on the back and a purgatory 2.2 on the front - replaced Conti X Kings. Much more bite. £20 each new off ebay.

The fact you've both said the exact same combination makes this tempting, especially as you (Mamba80) have already tried and tested them on dartmoor! I don't suppose the Mamba in your name means you ride a Trek Mamba? :roll:

Is this combination still fast rolling?

I usually ride in the Pentland Hills on the edge of Edinburgh. I live on the other side of town and ride there and back on the roads. Tyres are fine - particularly the GC on the back. For more grip in muddier conditions I'd possibly switch the rear tyre to a Spesh Storm or a Bonty Mud X but the GC gives plenty grip - and makes the ride more fun!
  • Sorry to drag this thread up from the past, but I'm about to buy these and wondering if anyone could shine some light on the difference between the Grid, and non-Grid versions of the Specialized tyres, other than £5?!

Specialized Ground Control

Specialized Ground Control 29er Grid 2Bliss Ready Folding Tyre: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/ground-control-29er-grid-2bliss-ready-folding-mountain-bike-tyre-ec056015

Specialized Ground Control 29er 2Bliss Ready Folding Tyre: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/ground-control-29er-2bliss-ready-folding-mountain-bike-tyre-ec056019

Specialized Purgatory Control

Specialized Purgatory Control 29er Grid 2Bliss Ready Folding Tyre: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/purgatory-29er-grid-2bliss-ready-folding-mountain-bike-tyre-ec056021

Specialized Purgatory Control 29er 2Bliss Ready Folding Tyre: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/purgatory-control-2bliss-ready-tyre-29-ec043110

Thanks for any suggestions!