Big Chainring Replacement on Triple

JohnChristopher
JohnChristopher Posts: 14
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I was just wondering if I could replace the big chain ring on my triple which is currently a 50T with any 52/53T chainring? I know the middle ring is specific for triples, but would a standard / double chainring e.g Ultegra / FSA fit without issues?
Also, is it a difficult job to replace it?

The chainset:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2

Thanks.

Comments

• it would depend on the BCD, (bolt circle diameter) as they are different on compact and standard cranks, but it they were the same then there shouldn't be any issues that i can think of
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also know that Shimano cut the teeth differently to help shifting from one sprocket to the next and are designed to be fit in matched sets with different orientations of the teeth. The sprockets will have an A, B, etc marking on them to designate a match. Having said this it's not a big deal to use mis-matched sprockets but the shifting can sometimes be a little more hesitant. I've done this a few times without having it be a big enough bother to worry about.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The determining factor is likely to be the capacity of your front mech - most road triple front mechs can only handle a 20 tooth difference between the biggest and smallest ring, otherwise the chain will rub along the bottom of the cage when in the lower chainring - so the answer to your question is yes, you can fit a 53 chainring but you'll likely need to change the inner ring to a 33. BTW an MTB mech probably won't fit your frame.

The question is why? Most beginners believe they need bigger gears to go faster when in fact it's down to learning to pedal faster - a 50 chainring driving an 11 sprocket is a higher gear than 53x12.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The chainring is a 50 D I think, so I think an 52 D Ultegra 6603 chainring will fit?

Monty dog, will a 105 5700 mech handle a 22 tooth difference?
    I had a look on wiggle and they say that a 105 mech can handle up to a 22 tooth difference...

Really appreciate the advice! :)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The determining factor is likely to be the capacity of your front mech - most road triple front mechs can only handle a 20 tooth difference between the biggest and smallest ring, otherwise the chain will rub along the bottom of the cage when in the lower chainring - so the answer to your question is yes, you can fit a 53 chainring but you'll likely need to change the inner ring to a 33. BTW an MTB mech probably won't fit your frame.

The question is why? Most beginners believe they need bigger gears to go faster when in fact it's down to learning to pedal faster - a 50 chainring driving an 11 sprocket is a higher gear than 53x12.

You know, every time someone uses max/min gear ratio to justify a chainring/cassette selection I am always tempted to ask why they aren't on a Sturmey Archer 3-speed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}