DH bike size

TheTherese
TheTherese Posts: 34
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys!

I am 178 tall and I ride a Canyon FRX RockZone 2012 size small. 16,5 inch that is. Reach 394 mm. Toptube 572 mm. Some guys told me to uppdate to a sizemedium - if I go for Canyon FRX again that would be 18,5 inch.

I am happy whit my ride so far. But want to ride more competitions. I have looked at worldcup riders and their bikes (men since I am quite tall). And the wheelbase / bodylenght ratio for me is almost identical to Mick Hanna for example. Female rides tend to have a longer wheelbase in relation to bodylenght - I found out... Then again they are usally 10 -15 cm shorter than me so...

Now to my question: how would a bigger bike make me ride better? Would it? I have tried a Gosth size large (615 mm top tube) and I think it was more stable in straight highspeed but it hooked up in curves and I more easily got down in the backseat and lost pressure on the front wheel.

Thank´s for your advice.

/ T

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok DH bikes. Often are all the same size ( in conventional sizing terms) but the length of the bike changes.

The longer the more stable the shorter the more nimble up to a point.

Not looked at how canyon do their sizing. On my DH bike I went from s/m to m/l (they only did two sizes) and I would go for the large again. 175cm male.

DH bikes really are a get your leg over or if not possible try something similar and then compare numbers.

Sorry can't offer more at the moment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Does your current bike feel too small?
    178cm must be around 5'10"? I doubt that a small frame would be big enough. Im 6'1" and need a 610mm minimum top tube length. Seat tube measurements are irrelevant on a dh bike.
  • My Current bike feels good. Don´t have much to compare by. What would the beniefit of a bigger bike be?
  • 6,1 = 185 cm
    5,9 = 175 cm

According to Swedish medical index for standard unit convesion =)
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Ok DH bikes. Often are all the same size ( in conventional sizing terms) but the length of the bike changes.

Not looked at how canyon do their sizing. On my DH bike I went from s/m to m/l (they only did two sizes) and I would go for the large again. 175cm male.

DH bikes really are a get your leg over or if not possible try something similar and then compare numbers.

Commencal?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Better stability, easier to control, more efficient pedalling position, more controlled riding position. With the right size bike you will be faster.
    I would guess at your height you will probably need a medium but then again, depending on your body proportions you could need a large or small.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    More stability at speed and in the air I guess.

I'm 181cm and 580-600mm Top Tube is good for me. Think my Medium Session is about 590mm TT and feels spot on
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Would be the same proportions as 178 and 572 mm toptube....did you ride t he Mega by the way?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Its more about your body proportions than height.
  • felix.london
    TheTherese wrote:
    Would be the same proportions as 178 and 572 mm toptube....did you ride t he Mega by the way?

Yeah I rode the Mega (on the Trek Session). Did we meet?

Trek Session 8
  • Yes think so - recon a guy in Yellow Urge helmet and a Session. Got a good memory for faces and bikes.
  • Its more about your body proportions than height.
    Yes I know.However - pretty standard tall girl. I think I stick to my bike and upgrade the fork and weels. More money to go racing.

Thank´s for your time says T.
  • rockmonkeysc
    As a girl your proportions would probably suit the shorter top tube of a smaller frame.
    Which races do you do?
  • felix.london
    TheTherese wrote:
    Yes think so - recon a guy in Yellow Urge helmet and a Session. Got a good memory for faces and bikes.

Ha! Nice one. Flatted in the quallies, at the top. Still have nightmares of seeing everyone go past me while I struggled to change the tube. I'm there next year...tubeless

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TheTherese wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Commencal?
    Nix.

Are you planning on doing the Svensk DH races or more like things like the Mega? as i would say i would sugest the same bike for both.

but the cheapest is to keep what you have and work on that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown