CX Sizing in general

polska1979
polska1979 Posts: 152
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi

Just nipped into the LBS and noticed they had the CAADX 2014 range in, hopped on a 54, which would normally be right for me. But seemed a little big..

I know they size differently to road bikes due to the raised BB, but i wondered how you lot have approached sizing. If I wanted to use for CX racing would it be better to have a little bit more room over the top tube so i can hop on and off easier etc? Therefore sizing down??

They didn't have a 52 in unfortunately

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I bought my CX for commuting/touring - so not quite the same - but I just chose the same frame size as my road bike (same manufacturer) - once I got it I found that the stem was a little short so upped that to a 120mm from the standard 100mm and it's been fine since.
    I've ridden once size smaller without any adjustments (other than saddle height) but that was for a potter around with the niece & nephew so it doesn't really count!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Cannondale sizing for their cross bikes is a little quirky, with the front end especially tending to be higher than their road frames.

I don't understand the idea that it makes sense to size down for a cross bike to allwow for easier mounts and dismounts, as your leg will always go behind or over the saddle.
  • Dozzina
    Dozzina Posts: 44
    A smaller frame tends to be for the handling rather than the dismounts with the ability to shift your weight around rather than being continuously stretched out like on a road bike. I have a 54 CX and a 56 road bike.
  • I think that's what I meant, having a smaller bike is easier to chuck around.

Suppose the only way to find out is to try both sizes out to see how I get on
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I'm 5' 10" tall and got a 51cm caaadx. The 54 felt too big. Cyclocross bikes do tend to have shorter top tube and longer head tube than road bikes. I also ride a size M Giant TCR. Hope this is of help to the OP. I spent a few weeks deliberating over what size frame to go for.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • I am 5' 11" and ride a 56cm SuperSix and a 54 CM SuperX

Yes Cannondale CX bikes are on the large side for there size, I would drop a size from what you would normally ride
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In the quest for grip, you tend to move around far more on a CX bike - the ability to get well-back over the rear wheel for grip is particularly useful on slippery climbs and descents. Saddle to bar drop is less severe - you rarely go fast enough for aero to matter and handling is far more important.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..