Disc rotors and brake - Cleaning

Confused Chimp
Confused Chimp Posts: 8
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I cleaned my new bike for the first time the other day after doing a very muddy trail.
Did a bit of research first on how to cleans the various bits. Clean chain with park tool chain cleaner, used Fenwicks cleaner on the majority of the bike, but tried to avoid the disc brakes (but think I accidentally failed on this). I rinsed well. Then I cleaned the rotors afterwards with surgical spirit (aka; isopropyl/rubbing/denatured alcohol). But the effectiveness of my brakes seems to have diminished greatly.

Clearly I've screwed up somewhere, suggestions how to fix?
Cheers
CC

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what did you use exactly as
    surgical spirit (aka; isopropyl/rubbing/denatured alcohol).
    are not all the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't clean so rigorously in the future, there really is no need apart from a water rinse, a wipe and some oil in the right places.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I almost think of my disc brakes as self cleaning and beyond water do little to clean them. Once contaminated they will rapidly lose performance. I would try riding round at speed, pulling the brakes on hard and building up to a good speed a few times to see if it helps. Also if your brakes are not too bad a long steep descent will sort them out.