Chainring compatibility

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited October 2013 in The workshop
Hopefully simple question. I have some Shimano Alivio cranks. Is it possible to put the outer chainring where the middle is?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but you might need to get a file out.

I guess this id for a single ring usage you will also need to add a spacer to each chain ring bolt or buy single ring bolts or again use a file.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    Ok. Not quite as easy as I had hoped but not too hard. Cheers for the response.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the issue is the shoulder that it sites on on the spider. shimano use two different sizes. but do not always use the same in the same place (they switch inner to outer through models and for different year makes) so it has become very much suck it and see.

bust as long as the BCD is correct there is nothing that can not be sorted with a file. Same goes for aftermarket rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I used to have ta similar setup and then just bought a Stronglight track crankset for £26 off ebay, much lighter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yacoby
    Filing it down seems to work fine.

@The Rookie - Cheaper to buy a file than to buy a new crankset. Not really bothered about weight but more about usability. Single chainring is easier to use, less to go wrong and I don't get my laces caught on the chainring anymore. Win all round.